I redirected Documents folder incorrectly - can anyone help?

Chipper

I have created a problem... I hope someone can help:shock:
Vista Home Premium
HP Notebook Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

First I partitioned C to create a partition D for my user data.
Second I went to properties > location of the Documents folder and asked it to move it to D:
But: I did not understand that I should have created a folder within D drive called Documents *before* I moved the target.:cry:

I proceeded to move the other folders (pictures, downloads... etc) and discovered then that I needed to make destination folders for them - otherwise it told me it would essentially nest the folders which would clearly be a bad thing.

Moving all the folders worked - but I now have Documents being mapped to D: (at the head of the drive so to speak) and I want to return it to it's original place on C so I can do it again - but properly! (To clarify - I now have Documents targeted to the whole D drive - not a folder in it)

I tried System Restore - but for some reason the only restore point was after moving Documents and before moving the others. I have restored all folders to their original C drive location and everything is as it was - except for the Documents folder - which shows up on the right side of Start menu under user name as "Data Drive (D: )" instead of Documents.

I have also tried to move it back by selecting "restore default" in the location tab of properties. This failed and said "Failed to build the regular list of subfolders under "D:\System volume Information" Access is denied.

:oIf anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Last edited:

My Computer

have you tried system restore via booting into the vista dvd? Boot to the dvd then select repair this brings up some options and you can repair from there. I have found restores points there that I could find via restore inside of vista.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600 @3.1
    Motherboard
    DFI UT X48 T2R
    Memory
    Crucial Ballstix DDR2 800 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus HD4850
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Hanns-G
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    250GB Seagate
    PSU
    BFG 1000w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor
    Cooling
    Ninja B
Thanks for that suggestion - I will remember that next time. It turns out I had a local friend able to help and he suggested creating a new user then setting that up properly from the start, transferring the first user data over (which wasn't much to do at this early stage of setup) and then once it was working deleting the 1st user account. And it worked a treat. Then I just redirected the folders - properly this time!
Cheers for your reply.

My Computer

Back