• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

IE9: Last "Supported" Browser for Vista?

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Browser support for Windows Vista is almost nonexistent now - or is it? If they wish to continue thumbing their noses at Microsoft, power users can turn IE9 into a veritable Stegosaurus: well-protected, but still a lumbering dinosaur. Three months after Microsoft ended support for Vista, they issued an Update to add support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in Windows Server 2008 SP2, the server version of Vista which is still under extended support until January 2020. Before long, an MSFN member with screen name VistaLover posted instructions on Enabling TLS 1.1/1.2 support in Vista's Internet Explorer 9. Of course every browser nowadays supports at least TLS 1.1 and 1.2, if not 1.3 - but versions old enough to work on Vista are no longer receiving security updates, whereas Microsoft is still issuing cumulative updates for IE9 for the benefit of Server 2008 users. VistaLover suggests installing all updates intended for Server 2008 since support for Vista ended before you begin - an idea that I don't necessarily endorse - but probably all that is really necessary for this purpose is the latest Server 2008 cumulative update for IE9.

For the second time in less than a year, MSFN was recently down for about a week. During that time, the thought occurred to me that if MSFN was indeed gone forever, VistaLover's instructions might also be lost - particularly the necessary registry edits. So with full credit to VistaLover, I will quote them here:

1. Install then KB4019276

2. Reboot the Vista machine

3. After restart, launch the Registry Editor (regedit), preferably as Administrator.

4. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO\TLS1.1

5. Delete the "OSVersion"="3.6.1.0.0" subkey; BTW, I don't know which WinOS that string refers to (Win6.1=Win7)

6. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO\TLS1.2

7. Again, delete the "OSVersion"="3.6.1.0.0" subkey. Exit Registry Editor.
After that, you just need to change settings in Internet Options > Advanced tab under Security.

Edit: If the link to VistaLover's post at MSFN given above ever fails, the page is archived at Enabling TLS 1.1/1.2 support in Vista's Internet Explorer 9.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Vistaar

Vista Guru
I did not include a link for the latest cumulative update for IE9 in the main post because that is going to change most every month until January 2020 - which is really the only reason why someone might want to implement VistaLover's instructions. As of today, the new latest cumulative update for IE9 can be found at Microsoft Update Catalog.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT