Internet Explorer - Maximum Download Sessions

ByLine
How to Change Maximum Download Sessions in Internet Explorer 7
Synopsis
This will show you how to change the number of simultaneous downloads from a web server to what you set them to for only the current or all user acounts. 10 is usually a good maximum. 2 is the default maximum.
How to Change Maximum Download Sessions in Internet Explorer 7

information   Information
This will show you how to change the number of simultaneous downloads from a web server to what you set them to for only the current or all user acounts. 10 is usually a good maximum. 2 is the default maximum.
Note   Note

• The current HTTP specification limits the number of simultaneous file downloads to two downloads, plus one on stand by. As connection speeds increase, the number of simultaneous downloads to a single web server may not be enough for your needs.
  • If you visit a web page with lots of images (and supporting files like CSS styles and Javascript), then you can have a slower browsing experience. On average, your browser would have to make more than 40 requests to the server before it can assemble the complete page. Requesting all the files you need with the default 2 at a time is going to be slower than requesting say 10 files at a time.
Tip   Tip
This will work with any other web browser you are using as well. For example, FireFox.

OPTION ONE
For the Current User Account Only

Using a REG File Download:
1. Click on the Download button below to download the file below.​
Current User 10Max.reg
download

2. Click on Save and save the .reg file to the desktop.​
3. Right click on the downloaded .reg and click on Merge.​
4. Click on Run, Continue, Yes, and OK if prompted.​
5. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply the changes.​
6. When done, you can delete the downloaded .reg if you like.​
Manually in Registry Editor:
1. Open the Start Menu.​
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.​
3. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.​
4. In regedit, go to: (See screenshot below step 5)​
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
5. In right pane, right click on a empty area and click on New and DWORD (32-bit) Value.​
Current_New.jpg

6. Type MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server and press Enter.​
7. In right pane, right click MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server and click on Modify. (See screenshot below)​
Current_Added.jpg

8. Dot Decimal, then type 10 and click on OK. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: The default value is 2, but you can change it to your needs.
Modify.jpg

9. Repeat steps 5 to 8 above, but use MaxConnectionsPerServer instead now.​
10. When done you should see this below boxed in red.​
11. Close regedit.​
12. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply the changes.​
Current_After.jpg

OPTION TWO
OPTION TWO:
For All User Accounts

Using a REG File Download:
1. Click on the Download button below to download the file below.​
All Users 10Max.reg
download

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn Brink

Comments

Your welcome.

I found plenty of references for the Current user out there, but nothing for All users. I thought people would like to have a choice.

niGht kiD,

I have not tried it with FireFox, but I believe it should. You can test and see by trying to download more than 2 items from the exact same website at the same time.

Shawn

Thank you niGht kiD for confirming that it works with FireFox as well.

The tutorial as been updated for this.

Shawn :geek:

Hi hdbg62,

The 10 is the hexadecimal number and 16 would be the decimal number for the same number if you were to enter either one in step 8 and dot the correct hexadecimal or decimal option for it.

Shawn

I noticed ya'll said that it work with Firefox. Does this accomplish the same thing as altering the MaxConnectionsPerServer in about:config? In other words, should I apply this to my registry if I've already altered them in Firefox?

Hi Carolina,
It really does not matter.
With regards to the max number i think that the Hexa value should be 0a (10) instead of 10 (16)
Wait for Shawn to confirm.

Doh! :o

Thank you Sid for catching this. The tutorial has been updated to use the correct Decimal settings not Hex.

Shawn

This newbie could use a bit of help. Used the download method on "OPTION TWO" and this is what I have now in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings:

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server REG_DWORD 0x0000000a (10)
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server REG_DWORD 0x00000010 (16)
MaxConnectionsPerServer REG_DWORD 0x0000000a (10)
MaxConnectionsPerServer REG_DWORD 0x00000010 (16)

Is this correct or should everything be at (10)?

I've made no changes in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings, in fact I don't even show a setting for
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server or MaxConnectionsPerServer there

Hi Hdbg62,

You should only have one set in the HKLM section. See the screenshot below step 12 in Option Two.

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server REG_DWORD 0x0000000a (10)
MaxConnectionsPerServer REG_DWORD 0x0000000a (10)

You will have to create the entries in the HKCU section, but it is not necessary if you have them in the HKLM section since it affects all user account.

The number in the (10) brackets is the Decimal value for 10 in Modify, and the 0x0000000a is the Hexadecimal value for 10 in Modify.

Hope this helps,
Shawn