Internet Explorer Title Bar

ByLine
How to Create or Remove a Custom Title Bar in IE7 and IE8
Synopsis
This will show you how to create a custom Title Bar with what you want in Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8
How to Create or Remove a Custom Title Bar in IE7 and IE8

information   Information
This will show you how to create a custom Title Bar with what you want in Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8.
Note   Note
This can be hady if you bought some OEM computer, or installed some ISP's program, and your Internet Explorer title bar has their name on it that you want to remove or change.

EXAMPLE: Default IE7 and IE8 Title Bar
NOTE:
Boxed in red below.
Before.jpg
EXAMPLE: With a Custom IE7 and IE8 Title Bar
NOTE:
Boxed in red below.
After.jpg

Here's How:
1. Open the Start Menu.​
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.​
3. If prompted by UAC, then click on Continue (Vista) or Yes (Windows 7).​
4. In regedit, go to: (See screenshot below)​
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Reg_Before.jpg

5. Look for Window Title in the right pane. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: Window Title will not be there by default, unless it was added by some OEM or ISP program.
Reg_After.jpg

6. To Remove the Custom Title Bar
NOTE: If the Window Title is there.
A) In the right pane, right click on Window Title and click Delete. (See screenshot above)​
B) Click on Yes for the confirmation prompt.​
C) Go to step 9.​

7. To Create a Custom Internet Explorer Title Bar
NOTE: To add Window Title.
A) In the right pane, right click on a empty area. (See screenshot below step 5)​
B) Click on New and String Value.​
C) Type Window Title and press Enter.​
D) Continue to step 8.​

8. To Change the Custom Internet Explorer Title Bar
A) In the right pane, right click on Window Title and click on Modify. (See screenshot below step 5)​
B) Type in whatever you want to see in the Internet Explorer title bar. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: You will see this in the Data column for the Window Title Name in the registry. (See screeshot below step 5)​
C) Click OK to apply.​
Modify.jpg

9. Close regedit.​
10. Close and re-open Internet Explorer to see the change.​
That's it,
Shawn

Related Tutorials

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn Brink

Comments

In my title bar It is written HELLO WORLD I AM VB. I cannot remove it. I have followed the instructions and to no avail.

Can you help?

Hi Brink, I`m asking you for help since this is your thread. I tried to add a "Window Title" registry entry because it doesn`t appear by default, but the thing I created just shows up at top of the page, and I can`t change the name. It only allows itself to be called "default". Is it still possible to add the correct entry to permit a custom title even though my PC didn`t come with it already there? For the record, I tossed the PC together myself, and use x64 Home Premium if that makes a difference. I included a shot of my registry page (I hope it`s readable). Thanks in advance, and I plan to try lots of your other custom Vista tweaks :cool:.

Oh, and the registry won`t let me delete the entry I added. :mad:

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Jello man,

Welcome to Vista Forums. :party:

I cannot read your image. It is too small. :(

You do not want to change the Default name listed.

When you went to add Window Title, are you sure you right clicked on a empty space in the right pane of the registry?

What is the title that you want? I'll make you up a quick REG file to download and to merge it to your registry to have it then.

Shawn

Hey Brink, thanks for your reply. I figured it out just now, after reading all of the steps in the tutorial...it was right there in step 7 :o. I`ve included another smaller snip from the registry (it should be readable this time, I apologize), that shows the proper mod, along with the "default" value at the top of the page I made by mistake which won`t allow itself to be deleted. So, I should just leave it there?

Thank you very much for the help, it`s much appreciated, and it probably won`t be long before I screw something else up and need more help. :eek: :confused:.

Attachments

Your welcome Jello man,

I'm glad to hear that you got it all sorted now. Your registry entries looks good to me. The (Default) value should be there by default and should stay.

Thank you very much for the help, it`s much appreciated, and it probably won`t be long before I screw something else up and need more help. :eek: :confused:.
LOL, I hear you and know how you feel. ;)

Shawn

Could somebody tell me if it is possible to add an image to the title bar, for instance a smiley, just by a modification in the registry?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Berglands, and welcome to Vista Forums.

The only way that I know of is by the old : ) way.

Sorry, :(
Shawn