Solved Internet Keeps shuting off

kaaay

Okay, when ever i leave my computer desk and let my pc sit in idle, the internet shuts off after an 1hr to 2 and goes into "Unidentified Network." the only way im able to get my internet back is if i go to mange network and disable and re-enable the network, works fine until i leave my pc again. This problem has started ever since i got my new PC Im running Vista Ultimate x64 on the machine atm. Every other computer in this house is not having a problem but they are running on XP. My last pc was running on Vista Home Pre x64 and it never had this problem iv been googling and trying to find out the problem but i give up i was hoping if there was anyone out there that could help me out plz!!!!

My Computer

Hey.

Ok, a couple things could be causing the problem.

The First place I would start is making sure your Network Card isn't killing the connection when it goes idle. This is a power setting on your network card.

Go to Device Manager ---> Network adapters and select your network card properties. Select Power Management and set it to not reduce or cut connection in system idle.

Also, I would adjust your Network Card's Link Speed. This is found in your network card properties aswell under "Link Speed" (or a similar name). The current / default setting for Speed and Duplex should be Auto Negotiate. You are going to want to change this to 10mbps Full Duplex. If this solves your problem, then wait a day or so and bump this setting up to 100mbps Full Duplex and see if your problem stays away.

Chances are both of these things are working together to cause your problem. You modem and or router probably don't like Vista negotiating the link speed and will be happier with a standard setting like this. Plus, you network card is probably reducing the connection during system idle while vista is still auto negotiating and this is probably causing your network connection fail.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel i7
    Memory
    6GB Tri Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD4670 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32" Vizio 1080p
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Keyboard
    Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
thxs for the advice i forgot to finish my major updates when i got the new comp because i was so exited once i got SP2 installed everything seems to be working no problem.

My Computer

ahh... sounds like the WinSock corruption. it was fixed in SP2.

I'm glad everything is working for you now!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel i7
    Memory
    6GB Tri Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD4670 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32" Vizio 1080p
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Keyboard
    Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
thxs for the advice i forgot to finish my major updates when i got the new comp because i was so exited once i got SP2 installed everything seems to be working no problem.

kaaay

Could we mark this solved?

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)