is it possible to change location of page file?

just when i read brinks tutorial it stated moving it may yeild some
improvement of windows performance.
That is true in some cases. But you are not doing the type of work that will generate a lot of page faults.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
ok so it is true! just dosent apply to me.

thanks

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire revo
    CPU
    intel atom 230
    Memory
    2gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated nvidia ion
    Keyboard
    lenovo n5901
    Mouse
    lenovo n5901
hi i only really run a browser sometimes as many as 5 tabs open (internet shopping) aside from that only programs really used are video player and emails but not all 3 at same time usually one at a time. oh and antifirus running thats it

Rather the putting the page file on another disk you can see a big improvement if you run portable programs from a separate drive. For example I have a couple of video encoding programs portable on my SSD that's in a USB 3.0 docking station. The encoder, source video and destination video are all on the SSD. Doesn't interfere with my system HD at all. Plus file copies from the SSD over the network are as fast as the destination HD can take them.

If you don't want to go SSD then you can gain similar advantage by using separate source and destination drives for disk intensive work.. such as video muxing.

But you could easily run portable browsers, email clients, editors off an external drive. That may take some of the load off the main HD. USB 2.0 it's not worth the effort. But eSata or USB 3.0 externals should work.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
btw if you want to have some fun playing around with Swap, try Linux. The swap options are much more versatile. You can have swap partitions on multiple drives as well as swap files. You can set the swapper to use a swap device as secondary when the primary is exhausted, or use round robin. It swaps to the devices in an endless loop. Also you can set it to only create a swap file if all other swap devices are full. Only using the slowest method when absolutely needed to keep running. There's much more room for experimentation.

I can tell you from doing Linux that all other things being equal, a swap partition is much faster than a page file. There is no file system. The partition space is allocated in chunks. When I was originally doing Linux my old 486 was so slow I could tell when I got a performance improvement or reduced disk thrashing just by watching and listening. Didn't really have to run benchmarks unless I wanted to know the burst rate on a HD.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
hi miles thanks for info/advice

however im not sure any of that apllies to my needs i dont have ssd or usb 3.0 i dont do video muxing? dont copy files over the network and dont use linux?

thanks

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire revo
    CPU
    intel atom 230
    Memory
    2gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated nvidia ion
    Keyboard
    lenovo n5901
    Mouse
    lenovo n5901
hi miles thanks for info/advice

however im not sure any of that apllies to my needs i dont have ssd or usb 3.0 i dont do video muxing? dont copy files over the network and dont use linux?

thanks

If you draw the generalization from the concrete example then you might see it applies to any task not run on the same physical disk as the system disk. But since you seem to not want to expend any effort to do so I won't bother you with my observations. I don't like to do hand holding. One learns by doing is my motto. Not by getting everyone one else to figure out every step. But that's just how I learned.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
hi miles i agree with your motto. however we all need a little help from time to time.
some maybe more than others. admittedly

the point i was making was i dont do any of the stuff you mentioned just simple browsing and media
(watching movies etc) so didnt want to get more confused with the issue im having by learning stuff i dont or may never use.

my origional post was more to do with page file being moved to another location as in the tip in brinks tutorial (namely a usb flash) in my query.
i just felt the thread had got a bit off the beaten track with linux and swap partitions ssd's usb 3.0's etc

thanks for the help though like i said in post above it is appreciated

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire revo
    CPU
    intel atom 230
    Memory
    2gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated nvidia ion
    Keyboard
    lenovo n5901
    Mouse
    lenovo n5901
Is there any point of putting the paging file on a separate partition from the system? For example, you have the system installed on C: but also have a D: partition where you put user data, and then specify the paging file for D:. I suspect it may not make a difference at all, as there's only one read head on a conventional drive and you wouldn't see any performance difference on SSD.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512Mb
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb
    Hitachi Travelstar HTS543225L9A300 250Gb
    Mouse
    Microsoft 4000
Is there any point of putting the paging file on a separate partition from the system? For example, you have the system installed on C: but also have a D: partition where you put user data, and then specify the paging file for D:. I suspect it may not make a difference at all, as there's only one read head on a conventional drive and you wouldn't see any performance difference on SSD.
That is absolutely correct. And if you have enough RAM (4GB or more), it makes no difference at all where your pagefile is located because it will be hardly ever used.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
The OP only has 2 gb which is the minimum that I would recommend for Vista so he could very well be using it some. However with a finely tuned system with the "light" computing that he does it probably not used that much. I think that we are all in agreement that for what he does moving the pagefile wouldn't help.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Back