Is it true 3d party defrag software can affect computer start time/performance

grimloktt

I read in one of the posts that 3d party defrager could mess up start speed and comp performance, whereas vista's built-in defrager keeps certain files in ceratin places to increase efficiency and speed. Any truth to this? What about Auslogics?

My Computer

Short answer? It is true for all third party defrag software if you disable Windows defrag. Windows defrag learns and optimizes the file positions of your first load and frequently used programs. So, if you want the best optimization you would be defraging twice, first with your third party software and then with Windows defrag, which sort of defeats the purpose, no?

My Computer

So, what you're saying is that vista defrag is optimal b/c it knows where the loads are placed and optimizes accordingly? If that's the case, then O&O Software could accomplish the same function, right?

I was thinking more like Vista just knew what files, through Microsofts programming, needed to be where and by using a 3d party software one could be jeapordizing that? Then, I was also thinking that Microsoft has a lot to worry about...probably windows in particular. Should I focus to a company that makes defraging one of their core competancies?

My Computer

So, what you're saying is that vista defrag is optimal b/c it knows where the loads are placed and optimizes accordingly? If that's the case, then O&O Software could accomplish the same function, right?

If their software is optimized for Vista, then I would say yes, or at least it would come close.

I was thinking more like Vista just knew what files, through Microsofts programming, needed to be where and by using a 3d party software one could be jeapordizing that?

I'll give a guarded answer by saying that nobody knows their software and code better than Microsoft.

Then, I was also thinking that Microsoft has a lot to worry about...probably windows in particular. Should I focus to a company that makes defraging one of their core competancies?

Without question, O&O make one of the finest products out there and I would be quite confident with the results. Will you see a great performance difference vs. Windows defrag? Probably not, but everyone's application and use of a PC differs, so because this old codger has not noticed an improvement with third party defragers, doesn't mean it's not there. ;)

My Computer

I use Auslogics defrag a lot.From what I've read up on Vistas defrag isn't very good.I used Iobits for a long time but someone told me its not very good either. For defragging every few days I use Auslogics.For every couple of weeks I use this 1 and have always noticed a boost :

Download MyDefrag 4.2.1 - Download - FileHippo.com

Some feedback from the pros would be nice.Thank you in advance :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway
    CPU
    intel quad
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
    Sound Card
    realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19' widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    581 gb
    Internet Speed
    High speed Comcast cable
I read a review that Auslogics skipped a fragmented 4gb file, that the tester placed onto his hard drive for fragmenting. He was testing different fragmenters. Right now, I'm not sold on using anything but the windows defrager... I need to do more research.

My Computer

Hello grimloktt,
The bottom line is, that they all defrag your system and in the end, thats all you want, whether it's got a pretty GUI or goes a bit faster counts for nothing.
At least with the Vista one you don't end up with another piece of software, ready to conflict with, another piece of software.
It's a personal choice so do what makes you happy, try a few and see if one floats your boat.
Right, thats my two bobs worth. :D

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Fujitsu Siemens 22inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    150 Gig WD Raptor
    300 Gig Maxtor
    300 Gig Maxtor, (External)
    PSU
    CoolerMaster 1000
    Case
    CoolerMaster N-Vidia stacker 830
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12P x 1x120mm fan, 6x120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
    Other Info
    Audio FX Pro 5+1 gaming head set
Hello grimloktt,
The bottom line is, that they all defrag your system and in the end, thats all you want, whether it's got a pretty GUI or goes a bit faster counts for nothing.
At least with the Vista one you don't end up with another piece of software, ready to conflict with, another piece of software.
It's a personal choice so do what makes you happy, try a few and see if one floats your boat.
Right, thats my two bobs worth. :D

I like your tweety! :)

My Computer

Thanks, took me ages to find one i liked. :D

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium