Issue showing image Thumbnails when browsing folders

hollyw

Hi,

I am unable to preview image thumbnails when browsing folders on my 64bit vista machine.

This has been an issue from when I purchased the computer about 8months ago, then last month all of a sudden the thumbnails started showing (default opening programme was fireworks t the time), but I changed the default opening programme to Photoshop and now again the problem has re-occured.

In my folder options the 'Alway show icons, never thumbnails' is not ticked, and never has been.

The current default application for .jpegs is Windows Photo Viewer, having previously used Adobe Fireworks and Abode Photoshop at times, no mater what the default programme is I only ever see the default programme icon.

When I change between the views in my folders (Medium Icons, Large Icons, Extra-Large Icon) the actual .jpeg image flashes up as the folder loads and then flashes back to the programme icon.

Any ideas? I really need to get this solved as part of my job involves photography and I need to be able to view thumbnails fast in large folders of photos and open in a range of editing suites.

* I have compared all folder options to the 64bit Windows 7 Machine at work which is fine, all options look to be the same.

My Computer

Hi hollyw,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

Here's a tutorial on how to do this in a variety of ways. Try them in the order presented as that's from the simplest to the most complex (even though I imagine you tried the first few already). Note the comment (and link to the procedure) near the top to set the default program to Windows Photo Gallery if none of the other options work (which you may or may not want to consider - or perhaps at least try to see if it works - let us know either way - and change it back if you don't want that as the default): http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/73715-thumbnails-windows-explorer.html.

If that doesn't work, try rebuilding the Icon Cache: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117229-icon-cache-rebuild.html to see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, you may want to clear the thumbnail cache (it won't delete anything but the cache and will rebuild itself when you open folders though it may take more time the first time you do so as it needs to do this first). Here's how: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/73720-thumbnail-cache.html.

I hope this helps. If not, post back with results of what you tried and we'll try some different options.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Thanks very much. Method 4 solved the issue of viewing thumbnails :)

But now there is another issue, which you may be able to help me with?

I now want to set Adobe Fireworks as my default application for .jpegs on the Vista machine. When I right click and choose default application I am unable to see fireworks, so I then navigate to it through the programme files, once I click on the Fireworks Icon to select it my image then opens in Picture Viewer and the default application is not changed. Any ideas for this?

My Computer

Make sure you select the executable program file (the .exe file) and not the icon file when selecting the new default.

Here's a tutorial on how to change the default program (or the default file association which is really what you want to be doing here) in Vista: How do I... Change file extension associations in Windows Vista? that may help.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem