KB******

Vistamalc

h
Hello im wondering if there is a KB update with allows me to update my Vista Home Premium 64 bit?
A few years ago i installed Windows 7 Home Premium and had the same probiem 80072f2FE.
By pure chance on a Windows Forum i found this KB****** and said in his Forum this will end your issues with updates.
I put this update in and off it went....updste was no longer an issue!!
Im using KB****** because i cant remember what the numbers were!!!
So im wondering is there a such KB update for windows Vista?
Cheers Vistamalc

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista
Welcome Vistamalc. The answer to your question is No. You got Windows Update working on Windows 7 by updating the Windows Update Client with KB3138612 (assuming SP1 was already installed), but Microsoft did not create a Vista version of this March 2016 update. Frankly, I don’t think there is any good reason to worry about installing hundreds of very old security patches in 2024, although you could perhaps use the service packs and the Platform Update components. Other forum members seem to feel differently, and may suggest ways of getting “fully patched” Vista in 2024.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
This has all the updates- 3.56 GB file on MEGA

I recommend that you set the Updates option to Never Check for Updates even though this version will overwrite what you have during installation.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Hi Vistamalc:

I think you're referring to the KB4474419 update (rel. 23-Sep-2019) that added SHA-2 code signing support to Win 7 SP1. Microsoft did not release a similar security update for Vista SP2 after Vista reached end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.

Microsoft also deactivated their Windows Update servers on August 3, 2020 for computers with unsupported Windows operating systems that do not support SHA-2 code signing - see the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices for more information. This means that Win XP and Vista users will now see one of the error codes shown in that support article (e.g., 80072ee2: The device cannot connect to Windows Update) when they try to run Windows Update. I agree with wither3 that you should disable automatic Windows update [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] on your Vista machine so you don't waste important bandwidth each time Windows Update tries (and fails) to connect to Microsoft's update servers.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
I think you're referring to the KB4474419 update (rel. 23-Sep-2019) that added SHA-2 code signing support to Win 7 SP1. Microsoft did not release a similar security update for Vista SP2 after Vista reached end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.
That is incorrect! Installing KB4474419 is not sufficient or even necessary in order to get Windows Update working on Windows 7 SP1. (It is necessary in order to patch Windows 7 all the way to January 2020 because the last several months of updates were signed with SHA-2.) As you know, it is quite possible to install a Windows 6.0 version of KB4474419 on Vista, but I did not suggest that because it would not solve the problem with Windows Update! As I mentioned in post #2, the real problem is that there was no Windows 6.0 equivalent of KB3138612.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
You could probably restore it if you could enable the TLS 1.2 protocol. They have silently made any connection depend on it so even Windows 8 has an issue that is nowhere documented. It is the same dependency the Media Creation Tool fails for by default in Windows 7 and 8 and the Microsoft Update Catalog cannot be accessed for by default. Totally unrelated to that SHA-1 endpoints announcement.

My Computer

Hi Vistamalc:

If required, standalone .exe installers for Vista Service Packs 1 and 2 are still available on the Microsft Update Catalog [see the download links in my 26-Sep-2022 post in VUser's Windows6.0-kb936330-x64.exe crashes mid install (0x8007000D error)], and since Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers on 03-Aug-2020 user @SIW2 has posted about two tools that can patch Vista machines back to end of support (11-Apr-2017).

The first method uses a utility called Dism++. See SIW2's 02-Dec-2021 instructions in post # 3186 of Vista ISO Download. I'm not sure if this method still works in 2024.

The second method uses a tool called Legacy Update. SIW2 posted about this tool in their 05-Dec-2023 post # 30 of James81's Update Windows Visa Home and included a link to Michael MJD's 16-Dec-2022 YouTube video Get Windows Update Working on Old Windows Versions! - Legacy Update Demo (note: the Vista SP2 demo occurs ~ 8 min into that 12 min video).

I am more familiar with Dism++ (I still use it on occasion to clean up remnants of uninstalled UWP apps on my Win 10 machine) but my Vista SP2 machine is fully patched to end of support so I have not used Dism++ or Legacy Update to patch an unsupported Vista SP2 OS myself. However, I've watched that YouTube demo video and read the documentation on the Legacy Update homepage and would probably choose Legacy Update if I needed to patch a Vista SP2 OS to end of support.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
I provided the installation file with all the updates above.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
You could probably restore it [Windows Update on Vista] if you could enable the TLS 1.2 protocol. They have silently made any connection depend on it so even Windows 8 has an issue that is nowhere documented....
I doubt that would be sufficient, but I have a question about Windows 7 SP1: Would installing Internet Explorer 11 be sufficient to get Windows Update working on a new installation without also updating the Windows Update Client (which is simply not possible for Vista)? I believe that would give Windows 7 systemwide support for TLS 1.2, or am I mistaken? (I had TLS 1.2 enabled in IE9 during my final years of running Vista, but only a limited number of cipher suites were provided by Microsoft.)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I provided the installation file with all the updates above.

Hi wither3

If you are suggesting a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 using SIW2's ISO slipstreamed with SP2 (released May 2009) and all ~ 220 security updates released between May 2009 and April 2017 then I assume that that would require a backup of personal data files to an external drive for recovery after the clean reinstall is completed, reactivation of the Vista OS using the slui 4.exe phone activation method, and a reinstall of third-party software and hardware drivers.

Are you sure the slui.exe 4 phone activation method described in Step 2 / Option 2 of Brink's tutorial How to Activate Vista Normally and by Phone Activation still works? I might be wrong, but I don't recall seen any recent feedback from a Vista user confirming that they were able to successfully activate a clean reinstall of Vista in 2024.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Would installing Internet Explorer 11 be sufficient to get Windows Update working on a new installation without also updating the Windows Update Client (which is simply not possible for Vista)? I believe that would give Windows 7 systemwide support for TLS 1.2, or am I mistaken?

No.

No.PNG

But it does work in IE 10 on Windows 8. It enables access to the Microsoft Update Catalog on both operating systems in IE 8 thru 11.

And enabling TLS 1.2 by applying KB3140245 restores Windows Update on Windows 7.

Install new Windows Update software.png

My Computer

So there are two different updates that can restore Windows Update on Windows 7 SP1, but unfortunately there is no Windows 6.0 version of either. :(

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Are you sure the slui.exe 4 phone activation method described in Step 2 / Option 2 of Brink's tutorial How to Activate Vista Normally and by Phone Activation still works? I might be wrong, but I don't recall seen any recent feedback from a Vista user confirming that they were able to successfully activate a clean reinstall of Vista in 2024.
I didn't have to make any phone calls when I ran the ISO. It just installed and I've been using it ever since. Strange thing is that I don't think it uses the same Windows key as my original.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB