Update Windows Visa Home

Please post back with the KB number of your recommended Platform Update if you feel this an essential update that was not included in Dalai's list Final Update List for Windows Vista.
The year is 2023 and I have better things to do with my time than write about old updates for Windows Vista. Your time is evidently not very valuable, so perhaps I can spare a few minutes to give you some pointers.

For the last couple of years you have advised posters who want Vista updates to follow SIW2’s instructions for using DISM++ but unless I missed something, no one has reported success.

As you and I both know and wither 3 has probably forgotten, Dalai’s list was for the purpose of solving a Windows Update issue that existed prior to August 2020. For the last 3 years it has been useless, so I don’t understand your compulsion to write about it in 2023. Security updates from previous decades are basically worthless, so there is nothing “essential” in Dalai’s list at all.

Platform Update Components for Vista

KB960362
KB971512 (Graphics, Imaging, and XPS)
KB971513
KB971514
KB2117917 (Supplement)

These updates actually improved Vista SP2. The two highlighted in bold were prerequisites for IE9 and were therefore included in the IE9 standalone installer. I don’t remember anything about the other three, and Microsoft took down their Description of the Platform Update for Windows Vista and Server 2008 a few years ago. (If someone was curious, it could perhaps be found on Wayback Machine.) Some third-party software that supported Vista definitely required Platform Update!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I was looking at the requirements for Civilization IV, including here-

Civilization IV PC System Requirements – 2K Support

and Vista isn't listed as a supported OS so one may want to change the compatibily of the .exe file to either win 2000 or XP.

In addition, if one goes to Control Panel, Security................... and clicks on Windows Firewall, there is an allowance to allow a program through the Firewall.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I would assume the OP was playing the game on Vista before replacing the HDD? “Beyond the Sword” expansion pack did mention Vista as supported. This game would presumably not demand SP2 - much less any subsequent updates! This seems to be a Gaming topic rather than a Windows Updates topic after all. Sorry: I never played the game. :(

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
He was surmising that, as a result of not having all the updates installed, he was getting the Windows Firewall error and, consequently, the failure of Civilization IV to launch. As you pointed out, most of the missing updates are nothing more than security updates so I'm trying to eliminate them as the cause of the launching problem. He might also want to set the .exe properties to "Run as administrator." Like you, I don't know what he was able to do with the previous installation. The update issue would be a non-issue if SIW2 would let me know if there's a 32-bit ISO with all the updates up to EOL and if he can provide it. I swear I had an ISO at one time that had all the Vista versions except Enterprise but I can't find it on my system. Perhaps it was for Win 7 which SIW2 helped me to install on a different system.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
...The update issue would be a non-issue if SIW2 would let me know if there's a 32-bit ISO with all the updates up to EOL...
If your mission in life is to distribute custom ISOs that you never used yourself in probable violation of Microsoft’s legal rights, then you need to compile a list of all the updates that would have to be reinstalled if someone subsequently installs a language pack! As you may have noticed, there are not many Vista users in English-speaking countries anymore - in fact there are not many Vista users anywhere. (Even in China, XP was more popular.)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Just trying to help. SIW2 used to provide the ISO's in this forum and still does in the forums for at least Win 7. I have the Vista x64 ISO that I used a few years ago.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
...I have the Vista x64 ISO that I used a few years ago.
Your memory isn’t the greatest. As I have pointed out before, SIW2’s ISOs did not exist when you reinstalled Vista in April 2019. It was still possible to get Windows Update working using Dalai’s method back then, but now it isn’t.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
You're correct that a 79 year old guys memory isn't that great. We had multiple threads on these ISOs and installations which doesn't make it any easier. I wonder where the OP is?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I don't know if it makes any difference but, this morning, SIW2 gave me a link to 32 bit ISO with all the updates but it's in English. If anyone is interested, I'll provide the link. Note that he said it won't be there much longer.
Edit: SIW2 misunderstood me and gave me a link to the 64 bit version. I will have to wait for a link to the 32 bit version.
Edit: Turns out SIW2 did understand me and gave me the proper link. I've uploaded the file here-

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory