KB929777 update error 8000FFFF

burgor57

I have re-installed Vista 32bit Home Premium (again!) on my Dell laptop wirh 4GB RAM. Running Windows update installed around 90 updtaes. One failed - KB929777 with error 8000FFFF. Tried several times.

Forums/MS suggest removing three registry enties from Hkey_Local _Machine as follows:
PendingXMLIdentifier
NextQueueEntryIndex
AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

None of these are in the registry.
Where do I go from here (apart from bonkers mad!)
Thanks

My Computer

I have re-installed Vista 32bit Home Premium (again!) on my Dell laptop wirh 4GB RAM. Running Windows update installed around 90 updtaes. One failed - KB929777 with error 8000FFFF. Tried several times.

Forums/MS suggest removing three registry enties from Hkey_Local _Machine as follows:
PendingXMLIdentifier
NextQueueEntryIndex
AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

None of these are in the registry.
Where do I go from here (apart from bonkers mad!)
Thanks

Looking for a lead now. Give me a sec :)

Alright, I think I got it. I hope this helps. This is from the MS technet forums:

Hi guys, seems like a recurring problem here. The fault is registry based and there's a simple solution to this one, it works for both 32 & 64 bit OSs. When you have tried to install this update restart and you'll be confronted with WU (Windows Update) saying an installation failed and it will allow you to a) try again or b) install - do neither! First click your start menu and look to see if the red shut down button has a ! on a shield - this means "shutdown & install" updates. if it doesn't show this click option a or b above until it does. Go to "Programs & Features" and click "View Installed Updates" (top left of dialogue box) - you then get a long list of KB?????? files, scroll down until you come accross the KB929777 update (i know! it must be installed if it's in the list! this is where the problem lies!) and highlight it and click "uninstall" - this process usually takes 30-60 seconds. when you get the confirmation box saying it is complete, go to the start menu and click the shutdown button with the !on a shield. Restart the system and try installing the update normally through WU utility!​

Hope this works for everyone, i haven't found a machine it doesn't work on yet!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intergrated Intel Graphics
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    It's special, it flips open :)
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Down: 16mb/s Up: 1.6mb/s
    Other Info
    I killed my HP Laptop :'(
Maybe any other values in HKLM\Components key cause this?Read this post http://www.vistax64.com/872713-post6.html
if you have any other phrases in this key which I don't have remove them +restart.Besides remove all *.xml files from C:\Windows\WinSxS and empty the whole folder C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp

You can also try install KB92977 from Microsoft Download Center http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F3-2B60-4B70-B709-06B2BC5B1336&displaylang=en

and not better to install the whole SP1 and SP2?This hotfix is old and I suspect you don't have installed even SP1 and this hotfix is already included to them.If I have right I recommend install SP1 and SP2 from Microsoft Download Center

EDIT
First try @CrocialHoax suggestions

My Computer

Thanks CrucialHoax - that solution worked great.
Now I can finally update SP1, then I can install Adobe ........
Any point trying to install SP2 when it turns up?

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    It's special, it flips open :)
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Down: 16mb/s Up: 1.6mb/s
    Other Info
    I killed my HP Laptop :'(
It provides the most recent security updates, software hotfixes, and Windows related 'patches' Less problematic for you hopefully. :) I'm running SP2 if it matters, a lot of members of this forum are.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated