Solved Laptop Randomly Restarts

noahwass

I've been ignoring this problem for a while because it hasn't really been affecting me. This morning, I heard my laptop play the Windows startup theme and it was just sitting on an ottoman. Since, I've heard it do that 4 times this evening when no one was using it. For some reason, it is just restarting. When the OS restarts, Windows gives an error window saying, "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown."

Details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 0000000000000004
BCP2: 0000000000000258
BCP3: FFFFFA8003CBD720
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini102411-31.dmp
C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-365900-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB5D6.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

System specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 Bit
Intel Core2Duo P7350 2.0 GHz
4GB RAM

This is the original OS that came installed on my laptop (HP Pavilion DV3510). The laptop is about 5 years old. Two years ago, I had similar symptoms and my laptop crashed and wouldn't restart. I sent it back to HP under warranty and they replaced my HD and battery.

My Computer

The restarts can be stopped. They occur as a safe guard to be sure that you can boot when you get a BSOD. We have to stop the BSODs. It appears that the cause is a driver. The driver given is a Microsoft Driver, very rarely the true cause. Take the driver verifier test to help determine the true cause

Driver Verifier Inst

Since the driver that crashed you has not been listed you shouldrun driver verifier
Please run Verifier with these settings:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'lltell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you thedriver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can'tget to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registryto disable Driver Verifier.
So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've gotaccess to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make aSystem Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7Startup Repair feature).
Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and pressEnter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click"Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click"Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click"Next"
NOTE: You can use Low Resource Simulation if you'd like. From my limitedexperimentation it makes the BSOD's come faster.
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to useyour system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do thatrepeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because DriverVerifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let itrun for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).
Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by goingback in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page,then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.
If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from yourinstallation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that youcreated.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Richc46, I went through the steps that you listed to run the driver verification and after restarting my laptop everything looks normal. I was not greeted with any warnings or errors besides the one that I listed in my initial post.

My Computer

Did you run it for at least 24 hours?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Not quite yet. Since running the driver verification program, I have only had the laptop on for 16 hours. I'll update this thread in the morning with any new information.

My Computer

So, after running the laptop for a full 24 hours after running the driver verification software, I have only seen the initial error and not anything popping up telling me that a specific driver has failed.

I've noticed that my laptop only restarts when the lid is closed. If the lid is open, the screensaver comes on, but the computer never really goes into 'sleep' mode. It seems like something is interfering with Windows when the laptop is going into an energy saving mode.

My Computer

If you are in energy saving mode, change it to high performance

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Sorry, when I said 'energy saving mode' I was referring to Windows going into either Sleep or Hibernate mode. I changed my power setting to High Performance Mode for the fun of it to see if anything changes.

My Computer

I got a look at the BSOD finally. It's a driver power state failure (see forum post here.) My hard drive is going out (again). I've had HP replace it once under warranty, but it looks like it is happening again. Fun times!

My Computer

Back