• No Comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dzomlija

Resistance is Futile
Vista Guru
Gold Member
I know there are many members who will either love this or loath this, but I received an intersting article this morning that highlights the average vulnerabilities of of XP, Vista and MacOS.

It was published on December 18 by ZDNet.com, and provides links to their sources.

According to information, during the past year, an average of 2.83 flaws where discovered per month for Windows XP, 1.67 for Windows Vista and a whopping 20.25 for MacOS:

Flaws.jpg

And they say MacOS is better than Windows. HAH!:D

Read the article here: » Mac versus Windows vulnerability stats for 2007 | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

And I encourage all to follow the links provided there that leads to the source of their information.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64
dz:

Pretty neat trick! I routed your assertions in the other thread, so you move to a new one to continue your propaganda (do I smell an inferiority complex).

For anyone who can think for themselves, read the article and look at the facts. I doubt anyone will switch OSes based on a user group thread, but if makes Windows suckas feel better about XP SP3 (aka Vista), then more power to ya. A few things about this article stand out to me:

1. Extremely critical vulnerabilities: XP 3, Vista 1, Mac 0.

2. Look at the vulnerabilities. I question some of the rankings as highly critical.

3. Vistas extremely critical vulnerability was, of all things, Windows Defender.

4. Microsoft's dinosaur XP is still seeing highly critical and extremely critical flaws.

5. Unlike Vista, things actually changed in Leopard, making the comparison kind of apples and oranges.

6. Security vulnerabilities are a much bigger deal to a Windows user.

7. Security vulnerabilities are not the sole concern (though a big one) when evaluating an OS as "better" than another. Hopefully, no one will look at a snapshot to evaluate the whole picture.

Compare for yourselves. People are moving back to XP in droves. Even Microsoft is admitting it and putting XP back on the shelves and offering XP licenses if you turn in Vista ones (and XP had twice as many "flaws" as Vista in the article cited here). You certainly don't contend that it's because Vista is an improvement...

My Computer

My point exactly! Vista is XP with a groovy new interface and UAC...

I love how the MAC trolls subsitute ACTUAL thought or INTELLIGENT arguments with the same old FALSE fallback arguements.

In case you haven't used it, which based upon your comments I can assume yout haven't, Vista is incredibly different from XP on every level in every sense. To say that Vista is XP with a groovy new interface and UAC is like saying that OS X is like OS 9 with a new GUI.

There are extremely fundamental changes that have been made with this new version of Windows. If you can't deal with them then you are obviously not that tech savvy. Yes, we all experience some issues when migrating from OS to OS but those problems are not overwhelming in my experience (from XP to Vista). So go get your MAC and double tall latte and crawl back inside your MAC troll cave. :p

My Computer

My point exactly! Vista is XP with a groovy new interface and UAC...

I love how the MAC trolls subsitute ACTUAL thought or INTELLIGENT arguments with the same old FALSE fallback arguements.

In case you haven't used it, which based upon your comments I can assume yout haven't, Vista is incredibly different from XP on every level in every sense. To say that Vista is XP with a groovy new interface and UAC is like saying that OS X is like OS 9 with a new GUI.

There are extremely fundamental changes that have been made with this new version of Windows. If you can't deal with them then you are obviously not that tech savvy. Yes, we all experience some issues when migrating from OS to OS but those problems are not overwhelming in my experience (from XP to Vista). So go get your MAC and double tall latte and crawl back inside your MAC troll cave. :p

QFT! Vista is very different from XP in every measurable way. The fact that those differences don't represent themselves solely in the GUI doesn't mean they don't exist.

My Computer

Windows wins over many aspects of Mac. But hackers apparently do not pay tons of efforts on attacking a mac. They fav Windows! So ms has to build a much more secure system than Apple!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Core Duo E6320 @ 3.0GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel 965P
    Memory
    VData 4GB DDR2 800MHz (Only 3.25GB available to use)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NV Geforce 9600GT-512MB @ 850/2100MHz
    Sound Card
    Integrated Card (Realtek)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    MAG 22" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    An old Seagate 160GB HDD (7200rpm)
    PSU
    400W (peak)
But hackers apparently do not pay tons of efforts on attacking a mac. They fav Windows! So ms has to build a much more secure system than Apple!

I suspect this condition is based on the fact that there are relatively few macs currently, and that loads of windows installs are easy pickings if not properly secured.

My Computer

Back