listen port

Powell

Good Morning:

I have a question for you Vista gurus that is way above my pay grade.

I recently reinstalled the Vista O/S to get rid of a myriad of annoying little glitches. When I reloaded the Vuze bit torrent downloader I got an error message telling me that it had failed to establish listen with port 49423 and to check to see if it was being used by some other application. How do I go about doing this?

Many thanks for any information you good people can provide.

Regards
Powell Lucas

My Computer

Good Morning:

I have a question for you Vista gurus that is way above my pay grade.

I recently reinstalled the Vista O/S to get rid of a myriad of annoying little glitches. When I reloaded the Vuze bit torrent downloader I got an error message telling me that it had failed to establish listen with port 49423 and to check to see if it was being used by some other application. How do I go about doing this?

Many thanks for any information you good people can provide.

Regards
Powell Lucas

Powell

what firewall are you running? what router?

thanks

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Hello Ken:

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I am only running the Windows firewall and I unblocked Vuze when the app queried me. I do not have a router.

The question as to why Vuze is not not listening on this particular port is not a major issue. It is still downloading files, though at a slower rate. I was just curious as to how I could check the activity on this port since I also have two other downloading apps running. I was simply wondering if it was possible that, when I reinstalled all my programs after reloading Vista, it was possible that the sequence in which I installed them may have created the situation. Prior to the reinstallation this was not an issue. I will contact Vuze to see if I can switch to another port.

Again, thanks for your response. Every little bit of information makes it easier for me to track down problems on my own. Have a good one.

Regards
Powell Lucas

My Computer

Thanks for the reply John:

I followed the links you provided but they are only applicable if I am using a router. I have posted a question in the Vuze forums, but have yet to receive a reply. As I said, it's not a big deal. I'm still getting downloads, which is all I require. At present all I am doing is building up the libraries to permit seeding and, to tell you the truth, I expect the downloads to return to the pre-reinstallation speed.

However, that in no way diminishes your kind reply. It is much appreciated.

Regards
Powell lucas

My Computer

Please be sure that those ports are also open in your firewall. The computer's firewall acts a bit like a router when it comes to allowing traffic.

My Computer

Re: listen port (resolved)

Hi John:

Thanks for your response. I followed your suggestions and got the same results.

However, I finally got a response from the Vuze forums and they assured me that there was no problem with simply switching listening ports. I was aware I could do this from the Vuze Options screen, but I wasn't sure whether or not this would open me up to unwanted attacks. They say that as long as Vuze is listening on this port it will be restricted to items from their application searches. They ascribe the co-opting of the original port setting to the fact that when I was reinstalling my programs, one of them probably grabbed this port first.

I still don't know what app is using it, but I can live without this information.

Once again, thanks for your suggestions. I have added the (resolved) item in the title. I don't think this is the proper way to close the thread, but I'm not sure how to do it otherwise.

Regards
Powell Lucas

My Computer

Back