Lost Data Drive - and all of "My" folders

ktvanhorne

Hey all,

My OS hard drive (C: ) just died so I bought a new one and reinstalled Vista Ultimate x64. It was mostly up and running (not all updates downloaded yet) so I reconnected my data drive (B: ) and moved all of my user folders (My Documents, My desktop, etc.) over to that drive by going through FOLDER/PROPERTIES/MOVE. Soon, I had them all reassigned and working.

Then my B: drive fried and died. Not a very good week for me. Anyway, now all of those folders are pointing to a location that no longer exists. I get the error "B:/xxx/My Documents points to a location that is unavailable..."

Now when I go into my user folder, there are no folders. I cannot reassign the drives because they are not there. Can anyone help me recreate these user folders?

Thanks in advance.

KT

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Dual Core 6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5B-E
    Memory
    4 Gb 800 mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS geforce 9400

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Compaq Presario/SR5113WM
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N68-LA
    Memory
    PNY Optima Memory DDR2 2GB 2x1 kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB
    Sound Card
    On board RealTek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X163W LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 160 GB SATA 3G (3.0Gb/sec)
    7200 rpm
    Western Digital 160 GB IDE
    PSU
    Dynex 400w
    Case
    Nothin Special
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Standard 102 key with volume and sleep buttons
    Mouse
    Wireless Logitech LX7
    Internet Speed
    Comcrap 10mb cable
    Other Info
    Insignia 2.1 speakers, wireless Xbox 360 controller w/plug n play charger, Belkin wireless G + mimo usb network adapter.
Here's a funny twist. I partitioned another drive and gave it the letter B: of the now defunct drive. I created several new folders in it, and Vista randomly started assigning user folders to them. Example: new folder (3) got assigned the Documents folder - although neither the name nor the icon changed. However, when I took one of the new folders and renamed it to documents, it suddenly became CONTACTS and got the appropriate icon. Music became LINKS, and downloads became SAVED GAMES. Strange. I got them all reassigned - but I am working to get them meaningful names - rather than new folder (4) on my start menu.

I am still working - but thank you for the shell command. It got things going in the right direction.

KT

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Dual Core 6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5B-E
    Memory
    4 Gb 800 mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS geforce 9400
Back