Low memory affecting thumbnail view in explorer?

zoem

A while ago I had an error on my PC saying that the c: drive was very low in memory. As a result, I went through a few steps of removing unused programs, defraging etc to clear up the drive. I now cannot see the thumbnails of pictures in windows explorer (i'm not sure whether this was as a result of the clean up or not). The thumbnails come up for a second and then go to the default blue icon.

I have followed all suggestions I can find on this forum and others such as checking folder options in explorer and in the performance settings, checking that windows photo gallery is default optionin registry editor etc etc and nothing has worked! Could the low memory on c:/ drive (a problem which has resurfaced again) be affecting this...?

Please help!

My Computer

When you open a folder containing pictures, select the down arrow next to View. Select medium or large icons. Does this help?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
First, to your error message- what is the exact message? I don't know why it would report low "Memory" on a hard drive. Do you mean low "disc space".

Second, go to Control Panel\Default Programs. If you want Photo Gallery to be the default, Select Set your Default Programs. Click on Windows Photo Gallery and select Set this program as default.

Does this help?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Note   Note
I am currently using Windows 7 however please be assured that the same options apply in Vista

cleanup.JPG

When running disk cleanup you remove any cached thumbnails as well so save on disk space. This may be why you are missing your thumbnails however I am not 100% sure. Typically these will be cached again over time however it could be possible for windows to suppress this since it is running low on disk space

Just a thought,
Josh! :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
hi. Yes, it is 'low on disc space' rather than low in memory. Sorry - in my simple mind, it's the same thing!
Thanks for all these suggestions but I have tried them all numerous times and they haven't worked. That's why I'm wondering whether it's the low disc space - could this affect the viewing of thumbnails? They do appear when I first open the folder but then disappear within a second. If it was low disc space that was affecting it, why can I still see the thumbnails when I open windows gallery - shouldn't it affect that too?

My Computer

Back