macrium reflect

wingyuu

I just had a complete crash on a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium (I had already checked it for spyware/viruses/etc with a computer expert). Luckily, I had imaged it earlier with Macrium Reflect (free edition - latest release). After I successfully restored the image (which was a problem in and of itself), I noticed that I'm missing files and folders. I know all about folder options and I can see all hidden files/folders. With important files missing (like every .dll in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ or custom/personal folders), I find myself seriously wondering whether I should continue to use Macrium, since I use it on all my desktops and laptops. I've checked Macrium's forum, which you can only post to if you bought a paid version, and it seems no one over there has this problem. The only reason I would till use Macrium is because I can mount disk images and navigate via explorer. Is this problem only happening to me? Should I switch to Paragon Backup and Recovery (which narrowly outranked Macrium on Gizmo's Best Freeware website)?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo T61
    CPU
    Core Duo (1.8 Ghz)
    Motherboard
    Intel GM965
    Memory
    2GB DDrR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GM965
    Hard Drives
    Seagate

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
You say restoring the image was a problem. Would you provide more details? That may be a clue as to why system files are missing. Did you by any chance try to restore the Windows system while you were booted to the same Windows partition you were restoring? Also are you talking file/folder backup or entire patition backup?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
I restore about 4 times so far and never ever had a problem. If you created an image and the image contain the same problem. (sorry)

It can only restore files and folder that were created with the image. Can you explain so more what kind of problem your having?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    AMD/GIGABYTE
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
    Memory
    2048MB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SyncMaster T220/T220G,SyncMaster Magic T220/T220G(Digital)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 by 1050 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST310003 40AS SCSI Disk Device
    Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAJS-00YFA SCSI Disk Device
    PSU
    Thermaltake 500W
    Internet Speed
    VERY FAST>>>>!!!!
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7191S SCSI CdRom Device
No system restore points. I tried several times to restore an entire partition and had trouble with my restore disk because it wasn't in compatibility mode, which i later used. 1st wouldn't boot, 2nd time wouldn't boot, 3rd time corrupt mbr, 4th time success (i had been trying something new each time, all based on forum advice to others who had the same problems).

The exact problem is that I restored from this image, only to find that either this image was incomplete at time of creation or somehow the data in the image went missing. There are random areas where I am missing files/folders, so I can't be exactly sure what was lost. When I mount the image, I find the same areas where files are missing, which leads me to believe that when the image was created, reflect didn't include all my files/folders.

Either way, I'm pretty much screwed since that is my only recovery option. Since this happened on a laptop plagued with problems (it's not mine, but my sister's; i've done all i can do to try and fix it), i'm gonna do a fresh reformat/reinstall and migrate over what remains of any personal data/programs.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo T61
    CPU
    Core Duo (1.8 Ghz)
    Motherboard
    Intel GM965
    Memory
    2GB DDrR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GM965
    Hard Drives
    Seagate

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
If the image creation didn't work I think I'd check the HD with a diagnostic. Apparently there's no way now to know if said files were on the partition when the image was made. Could be Reflect had errors or it could be some malware removed or corrupted a bunch of system and other files. If there was no software cause then it could be HD related.

If the HD shows serious problems, you might save yourself a lot of head banging trying to fix hardware with software. If it tests out OK, then the reformat reinstall may be worth it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT