May Updates cause bsod

myke

I have Vista 32 bit Ultimate. Everything has been fine until today, all of the updates have installed automatically including SP1.

The may updates were installed automatically this morning and then my computer wont boot up correctly. I get a stop error and the BSOD. I had to choose Safe Mode and restore to the last restore point before the updates to get back up, tried twice with the same result.

I have now switched off automatic update while I attempt to trouble shoot the issue.

Looks like quite a few updates were released today or yesterday but I am not positive exactly which one is causing the problem.

I only found one other post from another person in the newsgroups who has the same issue but no solutions for it yet.

How do I trouble shoot this and get the problem fixed?

myke

My Computer

Hi Mike and Welcome to VistaX64.com!

Unfortunately the only way to troubleshoot Windows Updates is uninstall them one by one and rebooting between each install until you find the culprit.

Let me know if you have any success.

Last edited:

My Computer

The main issue with updates is when it tries to update the drivers. Try reinstalling your gfx, mb and sound drivers. This may solve your problem.
Also look in your error and performance logs. This may give you more information as to what is causing the error.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
I think instead of installing the update one by one, try installing them group by group. First try to install the 'Updates for Vista', then the 'Security Updates for Vista', then the drivers, if any.

I think its either a driver that is crashing your computer (The Conextant HD Audio wouldn't install for me, but would uninstall my other audio), or some misc update (Silverlight has crashed me a couple times.)

Hope this helps.

My Computer

Back