• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Microsoft Security Essentials

Hello All
My MSE is updating permanently is this right? , its been updating for 3 days, even when i shut down and then start up its still updating, is this right? or is there some reason for this?

Thanks
Allan

richc46

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Allen
MSE is updating current defintions. When you first download it may take time, lets say 30 minutes or so to update. After that intitial update it should update once or twice a day. Each update should take about 2 or 3 minutes. Anything that deviates greatly from the parameters that I have set should be investigated.
MSE is working real time to catch virus, but this is more or less silent, I do not even know that it is happening. The only event that may be noticed is an active scan. Check the schedule and make sure that your active scan is set for quick and only about once a week.

when i go into the Scan part of the system its says its updating, i then look at the update and its looks as if it stuck at halfway through the update?

richc46

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
OK it does seem to be stuck
One possilbe cause is an actual virus is causing the problem
Does it continue if you boot the computer?

I will see if I can uncover an actual remedy.

Is this the Beta?

richc46

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Right click on the task bar and bring up task manager. Shut down MSE. Then reboot.
Beta is the test version that is out. It has bugs.

Just one more idea. Microsoft Security Essentials uses the same update engine as Windows Update. Do your Windows Updates work? Do they get stuck, or error at all?

Please do the following:

Reset Windows Update How do I reset Windows Update components? (run MS Fix It from this site in NORMAL mode - if doesn't help run again it again in AGGRESSIVE MODE)

Then run this tool: Repair & Fix Windows Updates with Fix WU Utility | The Windows Club

Right, please run steps 1, 2A, 3 (about 15 minutes), 4, 5, and then Step 1 from the top yellow box, but only follow this last one if Integrity Violations were found. Please upload the new sfcdetails.txt from your Desktop. System Files - SFC Command

Thanks!

Richard

P.S. Try Windows Update after each one of these. If something fixes the issue, no need to continue!

Thanks i will give it a try, i also have Malware Bytes and Spybot installed do i have to uninstall those as well?, also if i have these do ireally need an Antivrus as i have tried to intall AVG, AVAST, AVIRA, Microsoft essentials all to no avail.

Thanks
Allan