Microsoft to ‘webify’ Office (sort of)

Microsoft to ‘webify’ Office (sort of)
Written by Mary Jo Foley @ 9:09 am October 28th, 2008

Microsoft is finally doing what many have been clamoring for — making Web-based versions of its Office apps available — but in a different way than expected.

As part of the Office 14 release wave, Microsoft is going to provide“Office Web applications,” which it is describing as “lightweight versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. These versions will allow users to access their documents via a Web browser on the PC, phone or other devices.

Microsoft is slated to make the announcement about its Office Web applications plans at the Professional Developers Conference (PDC) in Los Angeles on October 28 during the morning keynote.

Read more at the Source:
Microsoft to ‘webify’ Office (sort of) | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

They will prolly use it promote all the other internet services that they've been trying to get a foot in.

I'd be surprised if it works just as well in other browsers than IE too. Or at least, features will lag on other browsers as they catch up to the "Microsoft standards"! lol Good strategy move. I would guess that this can take advantage of a lot of the WPF foundation introduced with Vista which can make it decent (for a web app).

I wonder what kind of integration they are going to include with IIS Server. Maybe in either a patch or a new version. That'd piddle off the other competitors. heh

My Computer

This is going to be great. Especially since Outlook Web Access is such an important tool for businesses. The idea of having it on the web makes me wonder if remote connections will be less needed for people to work on their .doc from home heh.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P5N-E SLI
    Memory
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 1Gb x 4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB
    Sound Card
    SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY SE 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic vx2235wm 22" + Viewsonic N3235w 32" HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 and 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    320Gb + 500gb
    PSU
    Antec Truepower Trio 650Watt
    Case
    ANTEC SERVER CASE TRUEPOWER TRIO
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless MX3200 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless MX600 mouse
This is going to be great. Especially since Outlook Web Access is such an important tool for businesses. The idea of having it on the web makes me wonder if remote connections will be less needed for people to work on their .doc from home heh.

I thought you can already do this kind of stuff with Sharepoint Server...well, at least if your company has one.

I think most of what they are trying to do is make it a "public storage of documents" where you can share your stuff with various people on the internet.

My Computer

I think it's all a move towards Cloud computing that Microsoft is starting to promote.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
I think it's all a move towards Cloud computing that Microsoft is starting to promote.

Yeah it might be an interesting time ahead. I visited this booth of this new company that does data storage in "the cloud". They use technology developed by the government where "pieces" of data is stored across many servers to secure it's content in addition to the encryption. Furthermore, only a few random servers need to have their pieces for you to reconstruct the data in case some are inaccessible (prolly thinking nuclear blast originally). I guess something like this would make companies more prone to trust their data in "other people's hands" as well as reduce their own data center costs.

My Computer

Back