missing both hibernate & sleep mode options

Poffie

When I did the 'powercfg -a' it said only S3 was available, and in my bios, there doesn't appear to be any options at all to modify sleep settings (aside from turning on/off S3).

Pretty much the same problem here.
In my case the sleep mode was working just fine couple weeks ago.
Also my restore points date back only about an week, so that won't help me.
Problem started when i installed new graphics card drivers from ati/amd.
For some reason the install had failed or something since my graphics card was suffering from error 36 after the update.
It took me quite a while to get rid of that error, but when i finally did, i noticed i was missing both hibernate & sleep mode options.

Some specs below.

Manufacturer:
Acer
Processor:
AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory:
7934MB RAM
Hard Drive:
984 GB Total
Video Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
Operating System:
Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.110617-0336)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Aspire M5201
    CPU
    AMD Phenom(tm)9550 Quad-Core Processor
    Memory
    8192 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ G2220W (Analog)
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Keyboard
    Acer Standard USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech USB Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15 MB/S
Hi Poffie,

Use the following link to turn on Hibernation: How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows

Also check in power options if the settings for Hibernation and Sleep are fine, please follow the steps for detailed instructions: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

Providing an article which has few information about Hibernation and Sleep
Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions

Please post the results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
Hi Poffie,

Use the following link to turn on Hibernation: How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows

Also check in power options if the settings for Hibernation and Sleep are fine, please follow the steps for detailed instructions: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

Providing an article which has few information about Hibernation and Sleep
Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions

Please post the results.

I've restored the hibernation file couple days ago.
Checked the power managment option and i've allowed computer to go to sleep via media sharing.
I'm missing the sleep mode from the sleep tab though, only hibernate available there.
Also i've checked BIOS and i only have S3 availabe there at the moment.

When i run the "powercfg -a", the list says: "The following sleepmodes are available in this system/os: Hibernate."
Following sleepmodes are not available in this system/os: S1, S2 & S3.
Says they're not available because the program-device does not support them and that i should ask from my hardware vendor for new updates to my graphics card.

I wonder if this has something to do with my integrated graphics card that i had to disable... Currently running AMD CCC 12.8.
Last time i updated my graphics card drivers to CCC 12.10, the computer started to loop the booting process.
Anyways, my main problem is just the missing sleep mode.

Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Aspire M5201
    CPU
    Memory
    8192 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ G2220W (Analog)
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech USB Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15 MB/S
Hi Poffie,

Yes, that is correct Sleep and Hibernation options are related to Graphics card.

We can try to do a system restore to a point where it was working fine, providing the link to do system restore on the computer: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html

For any clarifications please feel free to contact me.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
Hi Poffie,

Yes, that is correct Sleep and Hibernation options are related to Graphics card.

We can try to do a system restore to a point where it was working fine, providing the link to do system restore on the computer: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html

For any clarifications please feel free to contact me.

My system restore only takes me back for about one week, and i was already missing the sleep option at that time.
So system restore wouldn't be of any use at this time.

If something could be done to the integrated Graphics Card, so that i could re-enable it without it starting to fight with my main Graphics Card.
At the moment i'm forced to keep it off, othwerwise it will start fighting with the other Graphics Card and keep causing Error code 39 on the AMD 6700 series graphics card.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Aspire M5201
    CPU
    Memory
    8192 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ G2220W (Analog)
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech USB Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15 MB/S
If there is no video card then uninstall AMD drivers from the computer and install the latest drivers for integrated graphics.

I can't do that. If i do install the integrated cards drivers, then my main graphics card won't work due to this: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".
Originally there wasn't any problem between these two, but when i updated main cards drivers from ccc 12.6 to 12.8 and booted comp, all of a sudden my main graphics card was suffering from that error code 39. I had no choice but to delete the integrated drivers and disable the card from bios.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Aspire M5201
    CPU
    Memory
    8192 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ G2220W (Analog)