Missing icons in "recently opened programs" list

Cixoos

For some reason the icons are missing on some programs in the "recently opened programs" list.

Ive tried right click start menu and uncheck->check under privacy.

If i create a shortcut to the program on the desktop, the icon reappears in the start menu.

Any ideas?

(vista 64 bit)

Last edited:

MilesAhead

Eclectician
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Cixoos one of the things that bugs me about Windows is the approach taken on these lists isn't a Recent Programs List, but a Frequent Programs List. There's some nebulous formula that determines if a program goes in the list. Well, if I use a program "frequently" then I probably have it someplace I can get at with one click. Like in QuickLaunch or on RocketDock or someplace. They should have implemented it as an MRU list, or Most Recently Used. So if you close an app and want to reopen it again right away, it would be in the MRU List.

Just my $.02. :)

Cixoos

it happenes to just some programs, was just curious why.

Tried the icon change, and no icon available. Also the reset\rebuild cache didnt do anything.

Using rocketdock also, so really no use for it

MilesAhead

Eclectician
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Yeah, it's much cleaner with RocketDock or another launcher/panel app. I wrote a Save/Restore desktop icon position shell extension years ago. It doesn't like Vista64 so I figured why not get rid of all desktop icons? I made a folder with 6 subfolders of categories of shortcuts, put that folder under Documents, and dragged the subfolder categories with custom icons onto RocketDock. No desktop icons at all now!! Much less hassle. The Start menu is pretty much relegated to when I want to uninstall something or look for the readme. I almost never launch apps out of it(maybe Regedit from the search or run line.)