Missing Network Files

Lovah

Bonjour guys, i mistakenly deleted 4 or 5 files thinking my OS would re-install them automatically after reboot.
Since then, my computer can no longer connect to website with their http address, but only via their IP address.

What i did was going to the "Windows" folder, and do a search for files that had "sock" in their names, and deleted those. Unfortunately, i didn't make a copy of them before deleting them.

So i really need your help, if someone has a Windows Vista Home edition premium OS, and is able to do the very same search i did, and tell me the names of the files that show up and the location, it would be amazing. :o

Thank you guys

My Computer

You don't say exactly what search you ran, and whether you have a 32- or 64-bit system.

Under the English language version of Vista Home Premium x64, I ran the search "*sock*.*" on the Windows folder and came up with far too many references to list in a post.

Did you delete only dlls? That would be a much shorter list that I could post.

But before I do that and before you try to find, download, and replace them manually, try this: open a command window with administrative privileges and run the command "sfc /scannow". That will check your system files and should replace any missing or corrupt files from system backup. It may take a while to run, but it should do the job.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 530
    CPU
    Intel E7300
    Motherboard
    0RY007
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GT 240
    Sound Card
    Realtek (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W1942T, Samsung 2343BWX
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900, 2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    96GB SSD (system), 1TB HDD (data)
    PSU
    300W (stock)
    Internet Speed
    ~ 1.5 MB/s
Bonjour, thanks for the reply. I'm on Sp2 32bits version. I believe the few files i deleted may have been 'dlls' but it may have been other types like ".com", "bat" or else.
There were only 4 or 5 of them.

I did sfc scan, system restore to a previous date, trash recovery via Recuva, none of them worked.

My Computer

Keep in mind that you may need different files, which may be located in different directories, since I'm running 64-bit Vista. (I've never used the 32-bit version, so I'm no help there.) That being said, here's the list of the dlls I found -- I didn't see any other executable files with "sock" in their names:

C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll
C:\Windows\System32\winsockhc.dll
C:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dpwsockx.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winsockhc.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wsock32.dll

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 530
    CPU
    Intel E7300
    Motherboard
    0RY007
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GT 240
    Sound Card
    Realtek (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900, 2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W (stock)
    Internet Speed
    ~ 1.5 MB/s
Thank you brother, this will be of great help in my research. I'm pretty sure i recognize a couple of files. Although like you said, since you're running a 64bits version the location and files may defer. I hope i'll find someone who's running a 32 bits version. But thank you again :)

My Computer

You're welcome. Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 530
    CPU
    Intel E7300
    Motherboard
    0RY007
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GT 240
    Sound Card
    Realtek (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900, 2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W (stock)
    Internet Speed
    ~ 1.5 MB/s
Hi again, apparently, an other user told me that the files contained in "SysWOW64" on the 64 Bits version, are the same as the 32 Bits version in "system32", which is why the 64 version can work with both types of programs.

Would it be possible for you to upload the 4 files under "SysWOW64" and give me the download link ? ^^

https://www.sendspace.com/

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 530
    CPU
    Intel E7300
    Motherboard
    0RY007
    Memory
    4 GB