mobile broadband

snuffle

Hi all, i am a first time user to having a laptop, i want to get broadband for it and it to be pay as you go, what do you suggest. also someone told me a can connect it to my desktop broadband, how would i be able to do this if so it wouldn't be mobile would it?. i'm with virgin with my desktop computer.

My Computer

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I assume you live in the UK like me so I think I can help.

I use 3 mobile broadband which in my opinion is the best of the PAYG tariffs. You can buy a dongle which is the expensive bit or if you have an unlocked 3G phone which allows tethering you can use that if you know how to set it up.
You get 150MB of free data when you top up (minimum £5 in store, £10 online) plus it also works as a phone if you want it to.
This 150MB of data lasts 90 days or until you use it all up.
This means it works out you spend £1.66 for 50MB of data every month, which if you have static broadband at your home should be enough. If you ever use more than this just top up more regularly.

For more info (and probably a much clearer explanation visit 3 - Pay As You Go - SIM Only - Free stuff - Free stuff with every top-up)

I don't know too much about Virgin medias mobile broadband but a good place to start would be here Mobile Broadband - Broadband - Virgin Media

Hope this helps, Oli.

EDIT: After reading your post more carefully, it sound like your do not have your Internet connection going into a Wireless router and then to your laptop and desktop.

This suggests to me that your Virgin Contract may be quite old as all new tariffs include a free Wireless router and setup, not to mention less to pay per month (I went down this road with BT, tripled my connection speed, got a load of free stuff and I now pay £10 less per month.)
Have a look at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264, if your contract is quite old there is a contact us box with a few phone numbers in, It might be worth a call, you never know ;).

Oli

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Apple MacBook, 5,1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9400m
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.3" Apple MacBook LCD Screen + 22" HannsG DVI LCD + 21.5" Samsung USB Lapfit Monitor LD220
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 + 1920x1080 + 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    SATA Internal 2.5" 500GB (305GB HFS+, 195GB NTFS)
    External USB 3.5" 1TB (HFS+)
    Case
    Aluminium Unibody
    Keyboard
    Apple Late 2009 Wireless Keyboard (US)
    Mouse
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Internet Speed
    6.33Mb/s up. 0.36Mb/s down.
    Other Info
    Harman Kardon Soundsticks II Speakers

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq0xx
    CPU
    AMD A9 Stoney Ridge Technology
    Motherboard
    HP 8312 (Socket FP4)
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown (?-0-0-0)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) 512MB ATI AMD Radeon R5
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Aud
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor on AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    119GB SanDisk SD8SN8U-128G-1006 (SSD)
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    62.86Mbps down 18.19Mbps up
    Other Info
    EPSON78D0CF (XP-332 335 Series) (Default Printer)
Back