Mouse and Keyboard not working during Windows Vista installation.

Ten2O

I am attempting to install Windows Vista on a 1tb MBR hdd, but once I get into the first installation window (the select language screen) I can't continue as my mouse and keyboard turn off. My PC has no PS/2 ports, so I cannot use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Please help me with this problem. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista x64 Business and XP IE Dual Boot
Windows Vista is older than USB 3.x. Windows 7 might be a better choice for your hardware.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Windows Vista is older than USB 3.x. Windows 7 might be a better choice for your hardware.
I'm using USB2 though. It has no PS/2 ports because it's a server motherboard. Also I'm pretty sure this server was made around 2008.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
I'm using USB2 though...I'm pretty sure this server was made around 2008.
Assuming this is the Windows 10 "System One" described in your Computer specs, your Intel Xeon E5-2430 CPU does have Vista-compatible "Sandy Bridge" microarchitecture, and your keyboard has wired USB 2.0 Type-A connectivity. Are the USB receptacles blue with initials SS (USB 3.0)? If not, then I don't really know what the problem is (although an old wired mouse might be worth a try). Hopefully someone who has had more experience with clean installs of Vista on various hardware will reply. Be advised that software support for Vista - particularly browsers and antivirus - is almost nonexistent.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Assuming this is the Windows 10 "System One" described in your Computer specs, your Intel Xeon E5-2430 CPU does have Vista-compatible "Sandy Bridge" microarchitecture, and your keyboard has wired USB 2.0 Type-A connectivity. Are the USB receptacles blue with initials SS (USB 3.0)? If not, then I don't really know what the problem is (although an old wired mouse might be worth a try). Hopefully someone who has had more experience with clean installs of Vista on various hardware will reply. Be advised that software support for Vista - particularly browsers and antivirus - is almost nonexistent.
This is indeed "System One". As I said, the USB receptacles are USB 2.0 (they are black and windows has usb 2.0 controllers). I have a PS/2 to USB adapter, if I use that and plug in a keyboard and mouse into the computer with it, would it convert the signal so it sees it as a usb keyboard and mouse, or would it see it as a PS/2 keyboard and mouse?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
UPDATE: Just tested it with an adapter and a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Not only did I experience communication issues with the keyboard and mouse in the bios and OS which showed up in the bios event viewer, (the keyboard would randomly stop working, requiring a re-plug, and the mouse movement would be very stuttery) but it also didn't work! It's like the USB ports just turn off when the Vista installation media loads. Note, that this happens right when it loads, while it is loading files the keyboard and mouse still work. I have also failed to find any help with this using google. I might also note that I get this same problem with Windows 7 installation.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
I would try a wired mouse for a Windows install and maybe a basic keyboard rather than a gaming keyboard. The manufacturer's website doesn't list OS compatibility but if it isn't compatible with Vista then you won't be able to use special keys. Also you didn't list the Vista edition. For a 64 gb of ram you have to have business, ultimate, or enterprise. Home premium is restricted to 16 gb and basic is restricted to 8 gb.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Back