Mouse Keys

ByLine
How to Use Mouse Keys in Vista
Synopsis
This will show you how to turn on or off Mouse Keys so instead of only using the mouse, you can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard or the numeric keypad to move the mouse pointer.
How to Use Mouse Keys in Vista

information   Information
This will show you how to turn on or off Mouse Keys so instead of only using the mouse, you can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard or the numeric keypad to move the mouse pointer.
Tip   Tip
This can be a handy feature if you lose the use of your mouse for some reason.

Here's How:
1. Open the Control Panel. (Classic View)​
2. Click on the Ease of Access Center icon.​
3. Click on Make the keyboard easier to use. (See screenshot below)​
EAC.jpg

4. Click on Set up Mouse Keys. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: Check or Uncheck Turn on Mouse Keys to quickley turn this feature on or off, and click on Save.
Mouse_Keys.jpg

5. Go through the settings for Mouse Keys and make adjustments to how to want them. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: These are the default settings.
6. Click on Apply to test your settings.​
7. Click on Save when done.​
Set_Up_Mouse_Keys.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Last edited:
Shawn Brink

Comments

I have followed instructions but cannot use keyboard to control mouse cursor. Turned on mouse keys, set them up, I even see the icon on the task bar, but still no good. I am using a dell 830 latitude notebook that has no seperate number pad, just the one above the letters. do I need a separate number pad to use mouse keys? any ideas?

Hi Icculus716, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Sorry, but normally you will need to use the arrow keys on the number pad. You might see if your keyboard has a F-Lock or Function Lock key that may let you use those arrow keys above the letters instead for this function.

tried Fn (function key), no response. Nothing is working. My intent is to map mouse cursor movement to keyboard and then map those buttons to my dual analog controller using xpadder (a program that maps keys to controller), allowing me to look around with right analog stick in pc games that do not support controllers (like Call of Duty4, and Mass Effect). I tried changing the settings in EASE OF ACCESS as shown on this page and I do not understand what the problem is. Can you think of anything else I may not be thinking of? Is there another way to achieve my goal?
Thanks for your help

The settings for the Ease of Access will only work with the number pad arrow keys unfortuntately. I'm afraid that I do not know how, if possible, to map those keys. :(

Sorry,
Shawn

If I bought a new keyboard with num pad and plugged it into the usb port of my laptop could I use mouse keys then? Again, I appreciate the help.

Will this allow one to effect left and right mouse-clicks from the keyboard?

Or does it only control cursor movement?

---------------------------------------

Pressing Enter doesn't always suffice.

Just to add, you can still use your mouse when you hAVE mouse keys on.... So I usually click the button, usually right mouse, and use the mouse/laptop pad to move the curser.