Solved Moving Windows Mail contact list from Vista to XP

benwengercorean

Hello! I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I work in a small office and all of the computers are using Vista. We use Windows Mail quite heavily in the business.

We now got 2 more computers, but these computers use XP and not Vista. The version of Windows Mail is different. Our supervisor does not want to upgrade the computers to Vista for financial and other reasons.

We have a massive contact list of various business associates, partners, and whatnot. In order to do business we will need this contact list accessible to every computer.

Currently the contact list is duplicated on each computer locally (this is not ideal in my mind -- surely there is a way to consolidate all of them to a central server so they're shared, but that's another topic).

My problem is that while it's very easy to copy all of the contacts from one Vista computer to another Vista computer... I can't for the life of me figure out how to copy the contacts from the Vista computer to the XP computers. The only way I could figure was to import them 1 at a time... but that would take EXTREMELY long (we're talking hundreds of contacts here) and not all of the information is retained when I do that. Notes, descriptions, and even names are often lost.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

I've been searching on the web for a solution. The only post on point I could find was something involving Windows Live, which we're not using.

Thanks a bunch!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---- EDIT:

I solved the problem. Apparently I just wasn't looking hard enough.

I just had to export contacts as Comma Separated Values which makes a *.csv file which I can import on the XP machines.

Such a simple solution.

Thanks!

Last edited:

My Computer

Back