mshtml.dll Internet Explorer 8 crash

The reports are more than 2... I've asked to cut&paste the logs to 3-4 friends on other forums and bet what? It was the same offset/exception.

Well, for whatever reason, google says only you and that other user have reported crashes at that offset within mshtml.dll. The exception code doesn't matter in this instance; 0xc0000005 just means "access denied", and virtually every crash that's not division-by-zero or a memory leak will manifest itself with the 0xc0000005 exception code.

I agree we must investigate further but sixth sense suggests there is more then a coincidence so don't exclude it please.

If you know how tell me... there are special options to activate in Vista I'm not aware of?

To generate a minidump:

1) Download and install the "Debugging Tools" package: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...tallx86.mspx#a

2) From the folder where you installed it, run WinDBG.exe as admin (right-click, "run as admin...").

3) Press F6, sort "by executable", find IEXPLORE.EXE, select, OK. (It's easier if you have only one instance of IEXPLORE running at this time.)

4) It'll spew out a whole bunch of numbers and eventually dump you on a prompt at the bottom of the page. Just type G and press enter. This attaches the debugger to the IEXPLORE process but then lets it "Go" and continue to do its thang.

5) Do whatever you need to do to repro the crash.

6) This time, a crash condition will cause the debugger to "break into" the IEXPLORE process and suspend all its actions. In other words, instead of seeing the same crash message you'll see the debugger take over and IEXPLORE will look like it's frozen.

7) Ignore all the spew again and wait for the prompt at the bottom of the WinDBG window, then type this:

.dump /m IE1.dmp

If you don't give it a full path, the IE1.dmp file will be created in the same folder where you installed the debugger package. If you zip up that minidump and upload it here, I or someone else may be able to dig more info out of it.

My Computer

Ok, I'll try to reproduce a crash and report the dmp.
It's harder with just 1 tab/instance of iexplore.exe but I'll try...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Intel T5800 Core 2 Duo 2GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 9600M GT (Forceware 189.06)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 2,5" 5400RPM

You don't have to limit yourself to one tab. Even multiple process instances are fine, as long as you're sure you're latched onto the right one with the debugger - the instance which you're aiming to crash.

My Computer

You don't have to limit yourself to one tab. Even multiple process instances are fine, as long as you're sure you're latched onto the right one with the debugger - the instance which you're aiming to crash.

:geek: of course! But it's not that simple since the current repro steps involve furiously opening/switching a lot of tabs... It's MUCH less frequent with a few tabs.
Isn't there a way to attach the debugger to multiple instances with pattern matching?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 2,5" 5400RPM
:geek: of course! But it's not that simple since the current repro steps involve furiously opening/switching a lot of tabs... It's MUCH less frequent with a few tabs.
Isn't there a way to attach the debugger to multiple instances with pattern matching?

Yes, but just start up a separate debugger instance for each iexplore that you intend to attach to. Let's keep it simple. In other words, if you're going to run 5 times IEXPLORE, there should also be 5 instances of WinDBG - each attached to one IEXPLORE.

My Computer

Yes, but just start up a separate debugger instance for each iexplore

Ok, I suspected that...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 2,5" 5400RPM
Sorry, have to give up for the moment!
It's difficult to reproduce the crashbug if I have to deal with a few tabs and run WinDbg for each one... As I said the best way to quickly reproduce the crash is to open with MMB (middle mouse button; instant link-into-new-tab opening) many tabs (= many iexplore.exe) with a lot of pics and move back and forth amongst all tabs, almost furiosly and before they get completely loaded.
This makes the use WinDbg & to attach to every task the dubbger very uncomfortable... :(

One of the best sites to reproduce the crash for me was http://adrianalimafan.net/ ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 2,5" 5400RPM
Today I've changed the KEY to make IE8 launch multiple iexplore.exe tasks for each TAB (disabled default should be set to 1 because 0 disables also Protected mode):
We know IE! : Opening a New Tab may launch a New Process with Internet Explorer 8.0

I've NOT been able to reproduce the crash 'till now... I'll report if I succeed.
The open/close of many iexplore.exe tasks (while still loading) could be the reason behind the crash.

-1 hour later-
No way. Just happened again, always same exception/offset...

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 2,5" 5400RPM
My computer crashed about 10 x , actualy i lost count . Tried thoses add-ons suggestions , uninstalled/install adobe flash . And so-on , does anyone know if/when they will fix thoses issues ?

Or anyone have a real solution to theses problems ?

My Computer

All we can do is waiting for next IE update (probably next month).
It's a pity because for the rest IE8 is a rather good browser, and is for sure the most secure at present on Vista/Win7 due to the Protected mode using Integrity Levels (this puts the browser under a far more secure sandbox) and DEP mode for plugins. It also warns user if SSL protected HTTP connections want to display unsecure objects with no valid certificate, something that FFox f.e. does not and dangerously let pass everything...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 2,5" 5400RPM
My computer crashed about 10 x , actualy i lost count . Tried thoses add-ons suggestions , uninstalled/install adobe flash . And so-on , does anyone know if/when they will fix thoses issues ?

Or anyone have a real solution to theses problems ?

YES! Here's a real solution: Uninstall Microsoft Office 2007.
That is the cause of APPCRASH on iexplorer, explorer, office applications, and so on, all related with mshtml.dll , msonsext.dll , gdi32.dll , ntdll.dll and other dll's.
Choose MS Office 2003 instead and your problems are gone.
This worked for me in Windows 7.

My Computer

And here's another suggestion:

Delete or replace C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Folders\MSONSEXT.DLL

Network web folders causes a lot of crashes when you do a "save as". This sound ridiculous, I know, but it's true. Just try it.

My Computer

Back