My HP DV6810 laptop won't turn on anymore, please help! :(

xxsassxx31

Hello all, I have an HP Pavilion dv6700 or DV6810 as HP refers it to and it won't turn on anymore! My system has 3 gigs of RAM and is an AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz.

I was originally using Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium System Pack 1 (what it came with the system) and I had upgraded to Vista 64-bit. I am not sure if my problem was caused by my upgrade of Vista or my system being too warm (as I have been using it a lot and it has been getting hot and making loud noises); but after I upgraded to the 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium System Pack 2, I was then going to the upgrade directly from the Windows to the Vista Ultimate which I had purchased earlier (and not got around to update any of it with my schedule)....and after I did this, it asked for me to restart my computer and as soon as I did....poof! It shut off and won't turn back on...

I read up on this online....I took out the battery and adapter completely and clicked on the "on" or power button for 30 seconds then put the battery back in and plugged it to no avail....I then took out the RAM cards (a 2-gig one and a 1-gig one) to try to reset it....still nothing. I called HP tech support and they told me to reset the harddrive and how to do it and still...same thing!

Everything is completely blank and my computer and nothing on it turns on....does anyone know what it can be? I have an identical computer I am using but I need that one to work and this is driving me crazy....HP wants me to send it back to them but is there anything I can do to possibly fix this myself??

Thanks again in advance and I appreciate all of your help regarding this matter....thanks again and hopefully I can fix this :(

-sasss

My Computer

Hi sasss,

I'm sorry to hear this. I don't think that it is anything to do with your upgrade. You did, however, state:
xxsassxx31 said:
...my system being too warm (as I have been using it a lot and it has been getting hot and making loud noises)...
Heat, or rather excessive heat, is the enemy of all computers, especially laptops. The component which generates the most heat is the CPU, and it is vital that this heat is drawn away sufficiently quickly enough to ensure that the heat does not become excessive. In a tower system, this is not too much of a problem as there is usually plenty of room to install a decent heatsink and fan assembly. With laptops, it is a different matter. The load placed on the fans within a laptop is quite high and if warm air is expelled then cool air needs to be drawn in (the main reason why you need to keep the vents clear). Unfortunately, dust particles are also drawn in and these can stick on the fan blades and bearings, preventing the fan from working efficiently. In some cases, this can lead to increased noise from the fan as the bearings start to fail, and in extreme cases it can cease to work altogether.
If this is indeed the case, it is possible that your CPU has fried, although some do have temperature sensors which automatically power everything down if a certain threshold is reached. When you restart a computer, everything effectively turns off and then immediately turns back on. It is at this point that electronic components can fail (just like when you switch on a lamp) due to the sudden change in temperature caused by current flowing through it. This rise in temperature can be quite rapid, and it is possible that your laptop is automatically shutting down even before the display starts to come on.
You might be lucky, though, and find that the noise has in fact been coming from your HDD. Remove it, and see if your laptop starts (don't worry about not being able to find an OS).
Here is a link to the main support page for your laptop series. Please note that there are a number listed, so select the appropriate one.
Product search results

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will go ahead and try what you mentioned today and to see if it works but I doubt that it will....we will see what happens but I appreciate all of your help. Luckily, I backed up my data a few days ago so I am okay with regards to that. One last question, as I had indicated, I have an identical laptop and when sending it in to HP for warranty repair, do you know if they verify the cpu info from the information on the back of the laptop or do they verify it from inside the cpu itself? Thanks again and I truly appreciate your help my friend!! :)

My Computer

Back