My Laptop restarts instead of goib to sleep 50% of the time.

defygravity

This has been a problem for the last couple of months.
If i 1. close the lid or 2. go to the so called "start" menu and hit sleep, about half the time I listen and hear that my laptop has restarted itself. If i keep the lid open and watch, it clearly restarts, and sometimes it brings me to that screen that says, windows has not started properly and it gives me the option to run normally or change to safe mode. i can run normally and everything is fine.
PLEASE do not tell me to go to power options because VISTA FAILS is not an option and my power options are just fine and do not have to do with this. I would like an intelligent answer. Thanks.

My Computer

When you insist on intelligent answers you price yourself out of the market.

Check in the \windows\minidump folder - do you have a DMP file corresponding to each of these mysterious reboots? If so, copy the latest few to a different location, zip them up, and upload the zip file here. Someone may be able to tell you why the laptop is crashing. It's very probably a driver which is incorrectly handling power state changes.

My Computer

Have you checked to make sure that your power supply is large enough to supply your power needs. I recently had to upgrade my power supply for this very reason. Everything was fine during normal operations but when shutting down / starting up you get a spike on your power usage and if you exceed your psu then you get reboots with no error messages. I only ask this because you state that you have the sleep settings set correctly. I would also ask if your multimedia is set to "Prevent idling to sleep" when sharing media as this can cause the exact results that you describe if you use a wireless mouse/keyboard.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Systemax N2000
    CPU
    Q6600 (G0 stepping)
    Motherboard
    XFX nForce 680i LT
    Memory
    4 X 2gb OCZ SLI-Ready PC-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual XFX GeForce 9800GT 512MB in SLI mode (Stock)
    Sound Card
    Integrated High Def audio 192 kHz/32-bit eight channel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 24" Septre widescreen, 2 17" Optiquest Q171b's
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x1200 Sceptre / 1280X1024 Optiquest's
    Hard Drives
    250GB 7200 RPM SATA II
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250W
    Case
    n2000
    Cooling
    Thermaltake bigwater 760is - Liquid cooling
    Keyboard
    MicroSoft wireless 6000 v2.0 keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft wireless laser Mouse 6000
    Internet Speed
    Wild blue -darn it 1.5mb down and 200k up 17gb p/month FAP
    Other Info
    Windows home server x86(1.5 Tb on 5 drives), Ubuntu 9.0.4 x86, vista x86 sp1, XP pro sp3 x86. SQLserver 2005, MySQL DB 5.0.
Ah, finally got back to this thread.
H2SO4: how do I check out that minidump folder, i think i know where it is, but i don't want to click to far into things i'm not very familiar with.

hmmm bobtran, how would i check if my multimedia is set to prevent idling to sleep?

[[I'm almost positive that the power supply is just fine. if need be I will look at that later, but I strongly feel that this is not the problem.]]

My Computer

Ah, finally got back to this thread.
H2SO4: how do I check out that minidump folder, i think i know where it is, but i don't want to click to far into things i'm not very familiar with.

Simply use Windows Explorer to navigate to the \Windows\minidump folder, most likely on your C: drive. If there are DMP files in there, and a new one is getting created for each mysterious reboot (check the timestamp on the file), then those files are going to be the key to resolving your issue.

My Computer

Back