network copy app using B.I.T.S. ??

MilesAhead

Eclectician
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Copying a large file tree over the network using traditional methods such as explorer drag & drop is no longer feasible. Does anyone know of good free(and hopefully easy to use) software for coping large clumps of files over the Lan using B.I.T.S. ??

I have a folder tree with about 20 GB of crap in it that I'm not ready to throw away. Doing a backup using an image backup program with an Exclude filter, well, the listing of the excluded files takes longer than the backup operation!! So, back to the old method of moving the clump of junk onto the external first, then doing the backup.
But wait!! When I try to do the move with Explorer drag & drop, the machine looks like it's going to spend a few hours thinking about what it wants to do before it even starts to copy anything over the network.

There's got to be an easier way than plugging the external directly into the machine with the file clump. I see this thing in Windows called B.I.T.S. and it sounds like something that might be useful in this situation. But I don't know of any free network copy software that uses it. Google just gets me MS KB error reports about B.I.T.S.

Anyone using the background transfer gizmo?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
hmmmmmmm looks like the best shot is RichCopy. I'll give it a try if my hd ever stops churning. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
BITS is great for that sort of thing. You can add files to a job, remove them, specify the relative priority...

BITSADMIN /? <=== to see the options

My Computer

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into it. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT