Network issues

iceman2929

Hey everybody,

i just got a new PC last friday with 64bit vista ultimate and i have been having alot of problems with hooking it up to my home network. At first, i would plug it in and it would only let me get into "local area connection" local access only. I did a repair install which got rid of all updates that the company had put on, so its a fresh SP1 install. Now i can sometimes get it to connect to the internet, but the speed is ridiculously slow, like if i look at the antivirus updaters for speed (i cant access speedtest.net cuz it says i dont have flash or w.e. and it wont let me download it cuz the site wont load) i get max speeds of...4 kb/s...
PLZ help, i know its not just me because i was talking to some IT guys in town and they just set up their first x64 vista systems and they are all having similar issues as in not being able to connect externally, only to the local network.

My Computer

Are you getting connected to your router? What is your IP address? Do you have DNS entries.

Start
on start search type CMD and enter
ipconfig/all in the box. What is returned for IP, subnet mask, DNS servers.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
ok, so apparently it wont let me connect to the internet, nor my router anymore.
it just says Local only. Unidentified network.

i did the ipconfig all and this is more or less what i got

Ip Routing Encabled : no
WINS Proxy Enabled: no
Autoconfig IPv4 adress (169.254.87.112 (preferred)
subnetmask :255.255.0.0
and i dont see anything about DNS
Tunnel adapter Local Aread Connection*:
Media State Disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix :
DHCP Enabled : No

if you need anything else let me know
i also pinged 192.168.0.1 to see if it was actually going through but it gave me ping failed, error code 1231.

i know my nforce networking controller works cuz i tranfered over about 100 MBs of video (Rvb) from my old machine to test if it worked out ( via 5 port gigabit switch) and it transferd quicker then it would have taken to download from the net so i think that it must be a software issue.

could it be my router that is causing all the issues
i have a dlink DIR-625 (revision A so i have firmware 1.09, cant get the 3.00 stuff cuz thats revision c)

cuz other then that i am stumped.

ok so ive been doing a little more research and i found one place that suggested that i simply switch the network settings from public to private.
Now i can connect to the internet. im just having speed/timeout issues.

I ping google.com and i get 59 ms respons time, and 25% packet loss
this is identical on both my 32bit xp system and my 64bit vista system.

now if i ping msn.com
i get timed out all 4 times on both machines but i cant access msn.com on my new pc, and i can on my old one...

i dont understand how is it possible that both PCs have identical ping tests, but on one it works and the other it doesnt...
(so far on my Vista machine i have gotten onto google.com, and it loaded up reletively quickly. speedtest.net (but i cant do the speedtest cuz i cant download flashplayer :( )

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Try a direct modem to computer connection and test. Bypass the router.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID