networking xp professional and vista home premium computers

sahr

I bought a new computer which has Vista home premium installed on the new computer. My older computer, which I want to retire now, has XP professional. I am trying to transfer all my data from the xp to vista computer through networking. However, I am having problems.

I have connected the two computers through Ethernet and I am using the crossover cable, no hub. I have given them the separate IPs and common subnet mask both on xp and vista. Also, in vista, I have the private network option enabled. I have both computers under the same workgroup name. When I ping the xp computer from vista, a message confirms that computers are now talking and there is no package loss. I have also enabled (check marked) under sharing and security in xp "share this folder on network" and "allow network users to change my files" for my drive C and number of other folders that I want to copy to vista computer.. However, despite doing all this, I am not able to see any folder or driver C of xp on vista computer. I will appreciate if someone can help me out. Thank you.

My Computer

Well firewall on both xp and vista computers are off. I have not installed any other firewall program like norton internet security. And network discovery is also" on" on vista computer. But I still cannt see xp computer in vista computer.

My Computer

Well firewall on both xp and vista computers are off. I have not installed any other firewall program like norton internet security. And network discovery is also" on" on vista computer. But I still cannt see xp computer in vista computer.

Your description of file sharing hints that you use simple file sharing on XP Professional. As much as I know the simple file sharing does not allow to share whole disk. With XP Professional, unlike the Home version, is possible to use more sophisticated file sharing and it should let to share whole drive too (but this is not recommended, better designate folders to share individually!).
Your problem seems like some permission issue.
You should try to create a new account on both XP professional and Vista and provide the same user name and password. Then you should check if the account has adequate privileges for shared folders. As long as both Pro And Vista are using the same account name and password access between the two should be transparent.

Last edited:

My Computer

Back