Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
I can't find anything that would tell me the amperage on the +12 volt rails; that's not a good sign. The only thing your link says is that it passes FCC and CE. Now I don't know what those entities are, but a good PSU like a PC Power & Cooling passes UL, cUL, CE, CB and TUV. While I honestly don't know what those entities are either, what I do know is that PC P&C makes damn good PSU's and, more importantly, I can easily find what the amperage is on the +12 volt rail.

I can't even find out this crucial information on Sumivision's site: SUMVISION - We Sell PC Hardware, Software, Digital Media, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players, Components, Networking Equipment and more... I also have no idea if it's a single or dual rail PSU, which is also important info... they're so stingy with the details that I think they're hiding something: the fact that their products are crap.

If you spent $13.00 on this, then that's a really small price to pay for a lesson learned? I would suggest getting a decent PSU. That's an often overlooked crucial component of any system. Insufficient power can manifest itself in all sorts of ugly ways. Do yourself a big favor and spend some coin here.

Heh, first thing to clear up is that I live in the UK: FCC and CE are the things to look for over here, never heard of the the other entities you mentioned :P Although it cost $26 and there is little mention of specs, I am certain it is not the problem. My brother has set up his first rig also, and with an 8800gt. He is running XP pro 32 with NO issues. It's just lightning fast for him.

rtt_77388 and Ted, thanks for the links.

Ted, I think I'm going to go for what I think was your initial suggestion; a reinstallation. I'll let you know how that goes for me... Oh, and if that doesn't work I'll be putting linux (probably Ubuntu) on- if it freezes on that I'll know for sure there's an issue outside of Vista (which I still think is the cause atm).

My Computer

Heh, first thing to clear up is that I live in the UK: FCC and CE are the things to look for over here, never heard of the the other entities you mentioned :P Although it cost $26 and there is little mention of specs, I am certain it is not the problem. My brother has set up his first rig also, and with an 8800gt. He is running XP pro 32 with NO issues. It's just lightning fast for him.

Because we're being clear... Without knowing the technical specs of the PSU in question, you have absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other whether or not the PSU is the cause of your issue... none. You can't be certain of anything when it comes to this PSU, aside from the fact that it's one of the cheapest PSU's made. No two systems are alike, even if they're built with identical components, so what your brother does is irrelevant.

FCC and CE stickers are meaningless here. They do not tell us if the PSU has passed any of the meaningful tests, which apply to PSU's no matter where you may happen to live. We need to know that the PSU meets your systems needs; specifically amperage, not whether or not it meets European environmental standards or falls within the FCC's limits on noise.

The CE marking (also known as CE mark) is a mandatory conformity mark on many products placed on the single market in the European Economic Area (EEA). The CE marking (an acronym for the French "Conformite Europeenne") certifies that a product has met EU health, safety, and environmental requirements, which ensure consumer safety.
CE mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[FONT=arial, helvetica]A statement of compliance with U.S. FCC class "B" limits for radio frequency emission, which is issued by the FCC and accompanied by a FCC "registration" or "ID" number. Certified equipment must be marked with the ID number. Personal computer equipment marketed to the residential user must be FCC certified[/FONT]
Computer Dictionary-Glossary-Computer Power Supplies-PC Power Supply-PSU-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

It would be foolish to ignore this path in your quest to fix the machine. Vista, per se, isn't the problem; that's pretty much conclusive.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    1TB W.D. Caviar GP WD10EACS
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultima-90/S-Flex 120mm
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Elite 4000 Ergonomic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
Fumz said:
It would be foolish to ignore this path in your quest to fix the machine. Vista, per se, isn't the problem; that's pretty much conclusive.

He's right ... ;)

Later :shock: Ted

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x 47" LCD HDMI & 2x 26" LCD HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache WD Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120, 2x 140mm and 3x 120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
Fair enough, it would seem that you're both fairly confident that the issue is with my hardware, and not with my OS. I can see why you think it is my PSU even though my bro's is fine, I guess a way to check this would be by using his PSU. Am installing Ubuntu as we speak btw. Will see how that goes and then will take it from there.

Thanks for all your help.

My Computer

Good news! About an hour ago Windows update managed to install some updates before freezing, and since then, not a single freeze :)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions along the way, and generally helping me through this difficult stage ;)

My Computer

Congradulations alexi, Enjoy your new machine...

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core Duo 2 E6700
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    Memory
    4g-Corsair XMS2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4870x2
    Hard Drives
    2 Maxtor Essential SATA2 drives Raid 0