newbie in overclocking

There ya go.. Good man!

3.15 GHz with temps of about 40c idle is pretty decent.. it should be a little less as I get those on 3.6 GHz .but I also have a better cooler than yours. but either way those are good enough.

I'd like you to run something like Prime95 to check stability like you said you would. and give it a good at least 15 mins. and hopefully you don't get any errors. I'm thinkin you'll be ok and it will run fine. but what I want you to do. is run it for about 15 mins. and then look at your temps. I'd stay and watch just in case. I'm pretty sure your cooler will handle the job. but the Max load temps are more important than the idle temps. so even though your fine with temps around 40c.. you'll need to watch the load temps while running Prime95. and as long as they stay under 65c your fine. I'm interested to see how your Cooler handles the stress actually.

So, good job. well done. your welcome. there's something else though.
as far as your question about setting the ram to 850.. personally setting my ram from 800 to 1066.. didn't do ANYTHING. other than raise my score in WEI from 5.7 to 5.9 and that doesn't really matter at all.. do you know what that is. the WEI.

Oh and don't try to put your ram to 1066 either.. it probably wont work. mine's actually 1066 ram. but I run it at 800 because it makes my OC more stable. yours could probably do 850 if you tried.. but theres really no reason to at all. But if you could tell me what ones you have. like a link to the actual ones you have. I could tell you more. as theres tons of corsair memory.. are yours Dominators?

So ya, leave the RAM on 800, and try a Prime95 test to check full load temps. oh and one more thing.

I see in your CPU-Z shots that both of those overclocks are working with 1.400volts.. is that what you set it to in the BIOS. did you set it to 1.4v. that was my suggestion. but I'm actually pretty sure you could use less than that.

Before you try to do to much.. you need to get the voltage figured out a little bit, all are different. so I can't say what actually to do. but basically do this. either do it now, or do it after you get to 3.2 GHz.

If you do it now, do this. leave it at the 3.15 GHz that your at now.. and leave the speed the same. yet go into the BIOS. and change the voltage to lets say 1.35v or something in that area.. then go ahead and boot up the system.. if it boots, then thats good. if it crashes, then that means you need more voltage and maybe go up a little higher. but I'm pretty sure it can boot at 1.35v. so try that. and if it boots and works.. then run Prime95 and see if it goes without error. if you get errors let me know..

Get all that. lets recap. Leave ram to 800, do a max load test to see full load temps. and also try lowering your voltage and seeing how low you can go. the lower the better. and lower will actually possible make the temps lower at the same speeds also. cuz less volts will be less heat.

good luck and let me know how it goes.

Congrats on OC'n your nice system to be even faster!

edit* sorry this is sooo long.. lol. I'm a talker, or a typer!

Thanks allot , Glad to have you on my side! +repu
I did a test of that prime95 and the result was 56~58c at full load and no errors, I was watching it the whole time so it don't go over 65 when im away.

About the volts in the BIOS I will do what you have told me to and will let you know about the results ;)

Ah man I thought OC RAM's will help but it seems not xD
Will be back with the results!
And thank you again for your effort with me, couldn't do it without you ;)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600 OCed till 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Nvidia XFX nForce 780i SLI
    Memory
    2X2GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz OCed @ 820Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2xNvidia 9500 GT SLI OCed @ 730Mhz each.
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Built in
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 22' LCD + 18.5 Wide Samsung LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1680 1050
    Hard Drives
    Internal 2x250 GB SATA II Maxtor,
    External 500GB SATA WD,
    PSU
    600Watts
    Case
    GIGABYTE
    Cooling
    GIGABYTE Volar CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Samsung Pleomax
    Mouse
    Prestigio
    Internet Speed
    2Mbps
Okay im back with the results! and its so impressive!
I went to BIOS and configured the CPU voltage and now its on 1.32 and booted up without any problems :)

Oki and about the temp. Before with 0% load it goes like 38c now after reducing the volts 34~35c ! I made test with prime95 again and before reducing the volts temp was 56~58c after reducing its 47~48c ! which means -10c! just amazing!

And about my RAM's they are Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 4GB (2GBX2) DDR2 800 CL5-5-5-18

Thanks again for the support!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600 OCed till 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Built in
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 1050
    Hard Drives
    External 500GB SATA WD,
    PSU
    600Watts
    Case
    GIGABYTE
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Samsung Pleomax
    Mouse
    Prestigio
    Internet Speed
    2Mbps
wow, see. I told you. using less volts will actually keep your temps down. so not only you should try and use the lowest voltage possible and still have a stable overclock. but also the less voltage the better on the life of the CPU.

so let me see here, your doing 3.2 GHz on 1.32volts.. and is that 1.32 in BIOS. or 1.32 in CPU-Z. because the voltage will always be lower in CPU-Z then whats in the BIOS.

Also your doing pretty good here. as Johngalt. another Q6600 owner here had to use well over 1.45v just to get to 3.1 GHz. so your actually doing really really good here. I think you could get that CPU to much higher speeds with only a few degree increase. Also for your max load temps to be staying under 60c is great. good for you.

so at first voltage was set to 1.35v right.. and now you went down to 1.32v and still passed prime. thats good. you should try for 3.4 GHz on the CPU. and try leaving voltage at 1.35v and if that works then good, if not then add a little more. but I have a feeling you might be able to hit 3.4 GHz on 1.35, or at most 1.3750 or something. but if your completely happy at 3.2 Ghz and wanna just leave it there. then do that. as anything over 3.2 Ghz will not be that much better.. you're getting great performance as it is. and going higher is more of for bragging, and to see if you can do it and what not. but there's not really tons of reason to.. ya know. so do what you'd like. and also yes thats good ram you have there. but might as well leave it on 800. as that works fine and your stable with it.

Question. on the top right hit User CP and go into system specs and finish writing in all your system specs. so I know. I don't wanna be typing this and not be able to look at your first page post that had your system info. cuz I'm thinkin of a few other things.

anyways looks as if you got the hang of this pretty well. Good for you. I hope you enjoy it!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Cuda 500GB 32mb Cache SATA 7200.(11) + 500GB Seagate Cuda External eSATA, USB, FW400
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Water-Cooled)
    Cooling
    Plenty of Fans, and a few 230mm Fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info
    ASUS 20x Optical, Bose Companion 3, ATH-AD500 Cans :), Patriot Xporter 16GB Flash Drive (Very Fast), & Sandisk Micro 8GB.

Nikon D40 DSLR with 18-105mm VR & 55-200mm VR
wow, see. I told you. using less volts will actually keep your temps down. so not only you should try and use the lowest voltage possible and still have a stable overclock. but also the less voltage the better on the life of the CPU.

so let me see here, your doing 3.2 GHz on 1.32volts.. and is that 1.32 in BIOS. or 1.32 in CPU-Z. because the voltage will always be lower in CPU-Z then whats in the BIOS.

Also your doing pretty good here. as Johngalt. another Q6600 owner here had to use well over 1.45v just to get to 3.1 GHz. so your actually doing really really good here. I think you could get that CPU to much higher speeds with only a few degree increase. Also for your max load temps to be staying under 60c is great. good for you.

so at first voltage was set to 1.35v right.. and now you went down to 1.32v and still passed prime. thats good. you should try for 3.4 GHz on the CPU. and try leaving voltage at 1.35v and if that works then good, if not then add a little more. but I have a feeling you might be able to hit 3.4 GHz on 1.35, or at most 1.3750 or something. but if your completely happy at 3.2 Ghz and wanna just leave it there. then do that. as anything over 3.2 Ghz will not be that much better.. you're getting great performance as it is. and going higher is more of for bragging, and to see if you can do it and what not. but there's not really tons of reason to.. ya know. so do what you'd like. and also yes thats good ram you have there. but might as well leave it on 800. as that works fine and your stable with it.

Question. on the top right hit User CP and go into system specs and finish writing in all your system specs. so I know. I don't wanna be typing this and not be able to look at your first page post that had your system info. cuz I'm thinkin of a few other things.

anyways looks as if you got the hang of this pretty well. Good for you. I hope you enjoy it!

Hello guntherc,

Thanks for the tutorial I did this
FBS: 3262.50Mhz (362.50 x9.0)
BIOS CPU voltage 1.318 vcore
Normal temp with 0~10% load 34~37c
with prime95 test 48~50c

I tried to go more and I get blue screen, as you're saying here it seems cause of the vcore? Cause I went 3.4Ghz with 1.31vcore and gave me blue screen error.
Sounds like I must rise the vcore in case I wanted to get higher speeds, thats correct?

I will try to rise the vcore as you said and try 3.4Ghz cause now its allmost 3.3Ghz
Coming back with the results, Thanks again :)

-Scott

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600 OCed till 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Built in
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 1050
    Hard Drives
    External 500GB SATA WD,
    PSU
    600Watts
    Case
    GIGABYTE
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Samsung Pleomax
    Mouse
    Prestigio
    Internet Speed
    2Mbps
OK.. well starters it's not actually called VID.

the VID is a voltage number that does not change.. it's the voltage number that your chip has programmed into it to run at it's default speed..and thats 2.44 GHz. so yours is 1.2750 or whatever it was. and the VID does not change.

but what you do increase is the CPU Voltage.. or also known as vcore.

so when above you say BIOS CPU voltage.. yes it's 1.318 but thats not the VID.. thats just what you've set your current CPU voltage at.

so while refrencing what you've set that to.. say my vcore is at 1.318.. make sense.. the VID is just a number that shows the default voltage..

Yes, those temps are now pretty decent for being at 3.3 GHz almost..
I'd try this. try going to 3.4 GHz and setting the CPU Voltage.. also known as the vcore to 1.350. and I'm thinkin it will probably boot at that with no errors and the fact that your able to run at 3.262 at 1.318 is actually really good. cuz my current CPU needs 1.425v to run at 3.4 GHz..

So ya. try setting it at 3.4 GHz and give it a vcore of 1.350 and see if that works. if you get errors try going a little higher. like 1.3612 or something in that area. but I have a feeling 1.35 will work..
also let me tell you that you have a great Chip on your hands. and will probably clock very well. I think with a better cooler you could hit things like 3.8 GHz on that thing.. but thats comin max to high temps.. might as well be happy at 3.4 GHz. thats what I run at just for the temps sake. but I can go at 3.77 GHz if i wanted.

Good luck, let me know how it goes

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Cuda 500GB 32mb Cache SATA 7200.(11) + 500GB Seagate Cuda External eSATA, USB, FW400
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info
    ASUS 20x Optical, Bose Companion 3, ATH-AD500 Cans :), Patriot Xporter 16GB Flash Drive (Very Fast), & Sandisk Micro 8GB.

OK.. well starters it's not actually called VID.

the VID is a voltage number that does not change.. it's the voltage number that your chip has programmed into it to run at it's default speed..and thats 2.44 GHz. so yours is 1.2750 or whatever it was. and the VID does not change.

but what you do increase is the CPU Voltage.. or also known as vcore.

so when above you say BIOS CPU voltage.. yes it's 1.318 but thats not the VID.. thats just what you've set your current CPU voltage at.

so while refrencing what you've set that to.. say my vcore is at 1.318.. make sense.. the VID is just a number that shows the default voltage..

Yes, those temps are now pretty decent for being at 3.3 GHz almost..
I'd try this. try going to 3.4 GHz and setting the CPU Voltage.. also known as the vcore to 1.350. and I'm thinkin it will probably boot at that with no errors and the fact that your able to run at 3.262 at 1.318 is actually really good. cuz my current CPU needs 1.425v to run at 3.4 GHz..

So ya. try setting it at 3.4 GHz and give it a vcore of 1.350 and see if that works. if you get errors try going a little higher. like 1.3612 or something in that area. but I have a feeling 1.35 will work..
also let me tell you that you have a great Chip on your hands. and will probably clock very well. I think with a better cooler you could hit things like 3.8 GHz on that thing.. but thats comin max to high temps.. might as well be happy at 3.4 GHz. thats what I run at just for the temps sake. but I can go at 3.77 GHz if i wanted.

Good luck, let me know how it goes

Hello mate, Thanks for correcting me. :)
About the vcore and the temp. I notice that my room temp effects in the CPU temp aswell. when I turn off the air conditioner temp goes up. and my cooling system won't allow me to go further. So I thought im stopping at 3.262Ghz at 1.318 vcore, Since its all going good now and temp pretty decent. :huh:

Unitl my hands get on better cooler I will go for higher speeds.
Im happy with what I got now, and all thanks to you ;););)

-Scott

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600 OCed till 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Built in
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 1050
    Hard Drives
    External 500GB SATA WD,
    PSU
    600Watts
    Case
    GIGABYTE
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Samsung Pleomax
    Mouse
    Prestigio
    Internet Speed
    2Mbps
Ya you're good where you at for now.. Just for fun you can go higher if you'd like. If you don't wanna spend the $50 bucks for one of the best like a tuniq Tower, or a TRUE.. Get something slightly cheaper.. but might as well just get the best. many people rate the Tuniq Tower, or the Thermalright Ultimate, or Thermalright Ultimate Extreme as good as low end cheap watercooling. You'll have GREAT temps with them. Like my Tuniq on this CPU I have. I'm at 3.6 GHz and my temps are 35c you should get a good cooler. but if your on a budget. get something good but cheap like this.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

or the brand that makes my Tuniq Tower.. known to be one of the best. have a new cooler out.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Just an idea.

Oh and ya, room temp makes a big difference. You're in Dubia so I'm assuming its really hot there..what time of year is it. Here in the states its just the end of summer.. Many people lower the Overclocks during summer. and then in winter go back to higher ones. So maybe I'll do even better when it's winter here..

And that is called the Ambient Temp.. thats the room temp. and it makes a difference for CPU and system temps.

anyways ask if you have questions. and enjoy sir!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info

Thanks mate, I was looking for a good one and was going to ask you about it ^^
The Tuniq Tower looks amazing! I love it. I will be looking for it :)

About the temp, IT is allways HOT here in dubai, well not allways but most of the time ^^ we can't stand staying without the air-conditioner is off ^^
Thanks for the valuable information.

And I do have 1 question if its no problem ^^
About OC the GPU, I do have 9500GT SLI, And its going pretty well after adjusting nHancer, Is there any possbile chance I could OC? I have the program to OC it that came with the drivers, but still not sure if it's safe ^^ since I don't know any thing about OCing GPU's.

Have a nice day!
-Scott

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600 OCed till 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Built in
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 1050
    Hard Drives
    External 500GB SATA WD,
    PSU
    600Watts
    Case
    GIGABYTE
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Samsung Pleomax
    Mouse
    Prestigio
    Internet Speed
    2Mbps
what program came with the drivers??

I'd recommend getting eVGA Precision for turnning up fan speed on them, and for overclocking and monitoring them. It's what I use. it's a great program. never used nHancer. do you have nTune.. is that what you mean.. nTune is terrible. I recommend Uninstalling that if you have it. lol

Ya we could overclock those.. not to high as they are SLI. I've not worked with SLI. but I'm sure it works very similar. I have my card way overclocked. but it's a powerful card. we could get something decent out of yours i'm thinkin. but temps and sound will increase. heat will make fans go louder. or you can manually turn them up in eVGA Precision like I do.

Ya I'm sure it's hot there.. I live in Las Vegas. it's a desert also. I'm sure not as bad as there. but this summer it got to 118 Degree's F.. or I guess 47.7 C
pretty hot for here.. but right now the average day is around 90F or 32c outside. but I keep it a little cooler inside. But once it's winter my temps should drop. that would be great.

Oh and get the Tuniq. I love mine. did you ever look at my system pics on that website I linked to?

eidt* nevermind. just looked. never linked to it. Here. go here and look for my name. This is my case, and it's little fanclub. lol. My name is about halfway down the first column of Modded cases. under XGUNTHERC

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/294838-official-cooler-master-690-club.html
check out my Tuniq, it does a great job. they are good coolers.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info

Hey mate

Sorry I didn't reply to you so fast i was in argent trip to Bahrain some work ^^
Just came back after 7 days, hope your doin fine!
Yeah it should be similar. About nHancer its a prog for setting up the graphics performance in selected games, to enable SLI, DX10 and screen filtering and other options, making profiles for each game you want to play at the setting you like. not an OCing program ^^ , eVGA Great i will get it

Yeah its hot also here in Dubai the sun is a killer lol, But still a good wind at night
I like what you did to your system it looks so amazing!
That graphics car looks like soooo sexy I want it!
The cutting was so perfect nice work! clear and looks so good!

I will be coming back after getting the eVGA.
Have a nice day, And thanks for the support

Cheers
-Scott

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600 OCed till 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Built in
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 1050
    Hard Drives
    External 500GB SATA WD,
    PSU
    600Watts
    Case
    GIGABYTE
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Samsung Pleomax
    Mouse
    Prestigio
    Internet Speed
    2Mbps
Yup yup, I took a lot of time in making sure that the window would look good.

thanks. and yes the videocard looks sexy. I know huh. totally sexy.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9650 E0 4.0 GHz @1.304v
    Motherboard
    eVGA 750i FTW
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA/MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240 & 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    PC P&C 750w Silencer PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11
    Mouse
    Logitech MX-518
    Other Info

Cory, I just took a look at your system on the Coolermaster site. That is one bad mother, loved the graphics card, and the cooler, and the blue lights, and the cut-out case, and biiig cpu, and, anyway I want it badly.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs