Solved operating system not found error message

ok guys I got my new hard disk and carefully placed in machine and checked as it says to make sure the computer detects the new device ...which it did.....so rebooted with the vista home premium recovery disc which I got from a friend a while ago (as updated previously from windows basic which was originally installed when first purchased laptop)
So everything seemed to be loading until it came to Error restoring image:
Image X could not apply Vista E=\05721 xsp.swm Index 2 from ODD to C=\!

I assume it was = or :

Any ideas as to what I need to do to get the disc to proceed further to complete installation

Is it something to do with it being a new hard disk as I am using home premium disc to reinstall rather than basic (which I do not have) (did not have this problem b4 using the disc previously on same laptop) as not come across this problem b4

Hope some one can help to solve this issue for me :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
If I understand correctly, you have a new HD. You are using a recovery CD which did not come with your computer. If those are the facts, it cannot be done.
A recovery is to recover on the same machine for the same edition. If the term is being used correctly a recovery CD comes with the computer (it is just for that computer)
You must use the recovery DVD that came with your computer
or
contact the company and get a new recovery for cost about $25.00. Be sure to tell them there is a new Hd
or
Buy Seven, which is the way I would go. You can get Home Prem. upgrade for about $125.00.
Be sure your computer can handle Seven.

If you are using the term recovery incorrectly and it is actually a Vista DVD, you must have your own key number.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I had a problem with a hard drive back in march which was no good ...so I found I had another of the same hard drive from an old laptop which I placed into my current laptop....Vista Basic............but because I did not have the vista basic cd (as it originally came with it installed) I was given a vista cd (vista home premium) to use which I did and it erased the data on old hd from old laptop and installed (vista home premium on) which worked fine.....

But I knew with it being an old hard drive it prob wont last long and as you can see it hasnt.....So I bought another hard drive to fit my laptop and again went to install the vista home premium on it which got so far with the installation then stopped at ImageX , so if it worked fine on a previous hd why is it not working on this new one I have just bought.....

Problem is the original came with the vista basic installed and so no cd came with it, which is why my friend let me try her vista home premium from her Toshiba laptop when I changed hd last time and it worked on my last hd but on this new one it seems to have got stuck part way through with the Image X problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
Do you have a key number?
If so what edition is it for?
What type of CD? Is it an ugrade CD or a Full Retail?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Yes she gave me the key number when I first installed it last time. Its the cd she had that came with her Toshiba laptop......its called Product Recovery Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

When I first used it last time.....I booted from it and pressed English then ok then it said install vista I pressed ok...it then did a warning saying you are about to delete all files and data etc..do you wish to continue and I press ok...it then installed starting with finding partition numbers then waited for % to complete on each stage...and then went through installing windows....I then entered product key number

It seemed to be doing fine on this installation until it came to Image X which it could not find!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
Yes she gave me the key number when I first installed it last time. Its the cd she had that came with her Toshiba laptop......its called Product Recovery Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

When I first used it last time.....I booted from it and pressed English then ok then it said install vista I pressed ok...it then did a warning saying you are about to delete all files and data etc..do you wish to continue and I press ok...it then installed starting with finding partition numbers then waited for % to complete on each stage...and then went through installing windows....I then entered product key number

It seemed to be doing fine on this installation until it came to Image X which it could not find!!

So you are using a Vista Home Premium Disc on a computer that originally came with Home Basic, Correct?

Which product key are you putting in when asked?

If it's for Basic and you're using a premium disc or vice versa, that could be your problem.

The disc being an OEM disc, meaning it's tied to a certain computer ONLY could also be your problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel I5-2500K @3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    Asrock P67 Extreme4
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (4x4GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce 750 Ti SC 2GB
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    auria eq2367
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    1TB WD Blue
    1TB Hitachi
    PSU
    SeaSonic X 650W 80 Plus Gold
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 750D
    Cooling
    Corsair H60, Three 140mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard K520
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless Mouse M310
    Internet Speed
    Wave Broadband ~ 100 down 5 Up
    Other Info
    Laptop specs: HP g7-1365dx /
    CPU: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics /
    RAM: Crucial 8Gb (2x4Gb) /
    SSD: Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device/ FW 000F /
    GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6520G /
Product Recovery, sounds like it might be OEM.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I am not typing in the product key as I have not yet got to that point on this HD.....My previous HD was fine using it so if I have not had a problem with it before on the other vista basic HD then why would it suddenly stop me from using it now.......its installing but stops at image x error.....how do I sort out the Image x error.....How do I get it back then maybe it will install fully.

This is so frustrating...Its a new HD....it was found by my computer when I put it in but just cannot get the full installation of the disc recovery to work to install it all

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
Just a guess. That DVD was made for a particular computer and it was not yours. Its possible with the old HD, the DVD was fooled. Now with a new, large HD, the old DVD will not work.
If it were me, Id call the manufacturer of your computer. Tell them your problem and they will send you the correct DVD, for cost of about $25.00. Then at least if it does not work, we know its not the DVD. Im not really sure what your DVD is for.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I did some searching, and it seems that the disk is looking for files on the recovery partition.

The 2nd drive you had, did it have Vista on it? If yes, that mighta been why it worked.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual L5639 // i7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Evga SR-2 // Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    Memory
    12Gig Corsair XMS3 // 6Gig OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 560 ti // gtx 260-216
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    OCZ aGILITY 3, 120Gig + Seagate 500Gig x 2
    PSU
    Silverstone da700 // Corsair 520hx
    Case
    Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra // Antec 900v1
    Cooling
    Twin CM Hyper 212+ // Noctua NH-u12
    Other Info
    Acer 8930 laptop with x9100...
ye it did....maybe I will have to pay the £35 :-( for the actually recovery cd for my actually laptop make then cos it will come with all system drivers and windows on it.......Can't believe how expensive these cd are....such a rip off how these firms work

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
Call the computer company. Tell them, they should give you a DVD for about $25.00 American.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Have you given thought to a Windows Seven Upgrade. Maybe not that much more expensive.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
going to try and install my windows seven off my other laptop via system image from external hard drive that I backed it up onto ...just not sure how to go about it.....see my unsolved thread :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    advent 5421
Back