• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Opinions needed

amplid

Vlaming
Power User
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask your opinions on a system I'm building (well the first one ever atually, but I've been poking around in my current system already:D). I'm building it for my grandfather so nothing too fancy, but I'd like you guys to comment and help me improve it maybe:)
Here it is: (sorry for the dutch;))

And also I wanted to know something about accesories: Obviously I'm using an anti-static wrist band and all those precautions, but things like that paste you put on top of your CPU, is it really necessary, or will my CPU fan cool enough without it?

Can't wait to see replies;),

Amplid

amplid

Vlaming
Power User
Oh and also, does anyone know an equivalent for newegg that ships to Europe? Pretty important that is:p

I just checked the mobo manual and apparently I can't install but two system fans. Am I right saying that that means trouble with that COSMOS 1000 case?

Thanks in advance as always;)

Amplid

Last edited by a moderator:

amplid

Vlaming
Power User
Yes, I've checked it by now and indeed...:p
Thanks Clevo, any thoughts on the system (if you've the time;))

Greetings,

Amplid

Brian the King

Power User
As I doubt your grandfather will be playing many videogames, I would suggest a fanless videocard to keep noise levels down. But looks good to me otherwise.

amplid

Vlaming
Power User
Hmm that's right, but on the other hand, I stay at my grandfather's quite often and I don't think noise will bother him compared to the system he's currently got...:p

Cheers,

Amplid

So what you are saying is that the old fellow is a wee bit deaf lol?

Make sure you put this site in the tool bar of Granddads browser so he will know where to come for help when you are finished :p.

Seriously though lol, if you are using a new processor, it will come with the paste on the fan. But the silver paste is really cheap and even the smallest package is more than you will probably ever use. I'd let you have mine tube if you lived close by.

You should have no problems as you seen like a rather bright young person. If you have changed out parts then you already are on your way, that's all I ever did before I built this system. Of course I credit 90% of my limited success to finding this site and the smart folks on it to carry me through my mistakes .............

One tip that may sound really stupid but.......... make sure that the screwdrivers you use don't have magnetized tips. Most screwdrivers sold (in the US anyways) have them. I almost messed up that way........

xguntherc

I Click Home To Much
Vista Guru
I don't have microsoft word in my new system yet.. so I coulnd't look at your system specs you attached..

but yes the thermal Paste is very important.. also, some places to put an X on the CPU, some say to put a line down entire thing.. don't use that much.

on both my dual core AMD 2.8, and my new Quad core Q6700.. I only put a tiny bit.. like the size of a UNCOOKED grain of Rice.. so pretty small.. some people spread it around with there finger.. don't do that either. just maybe mush it down a little bit with the head of the tube.. but for the most part the CPU coolers weight from bein tightened down will be enough force to spread it.. I wouldn't even touch it.. just so no oils get on it..

a small amount is all thats needed.. same with changing a FAN on a video card.. i used a tiny bit also and it helped about 10 degree's celsius.

how about in a post type what system your building

I'm with Gunther, I haven't done word yet either so I couldn't read your file. But gunther? THAT small? I smeared the crap all over, and no, i didn't use my finger OR touch it with the tip to the CPU.

Curious about the need for a network card when this one has gigabit ethernet on it already (Realtek 8111B chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)? Save a few Euros/Dollars, or are those rather less than adequate.. Other than that... looks good here... :)

xguntherc

I Click Home To Much
Vista Guru
well it will work, but not very well.. any aftermarket wireless card will work better, and pickup a more stable line.. Get a N series also.. like a Netgear 802.11 N not G but N.. N router and Card.. N's the best right now, but if you don't need the best.. than G is good.

and Bubba.. ya, thats all you need. I might possibly need a lil more cuz It's a quad core.. but i heard thats all you need.. it worked WONDERS on my AMD 5400+ 2.8 it idles around 19 degrees.. thats pretty good.

and on the actual website for the BEST thermal paste.. Artic silver 5.. they say use that same amount. the size of a uncooked grain of rice.. thats all they say to use.. or to use the same size.. but a little longer. for quad core.. a small line, but by no means from one side to the other

Chappy

Tech Help since 1993
Vista Guru
You'll be fine with the Gigabit Ethernet really, no need to go wireless unless you want to. Wireless isn't more stable than a hardwired system...wireless is always susceptible to interference, and it's definitely not faster by default.

Artic Silver 5 is the Best grease to use and I recommend you also use the Artic Silver Cleaner compound also. I've built over 50 machines and most builders will cover the CPU heatspreader with a very thin layer, then lightly twist and rub the 2 surfaces together while installing the cooler to ensure a good bond between them. Arctic Silver used to recommend using a small piece of hard plastic to spread the grease on the surfaces, some types come with a small brush to do this.

Arctic Silver now states that their studies show that by applying a rice grained size of grease to the center of the CPU heatspreader and then mating the 2 surfaces with the twisting motion, the most critical area of the surfaces will be covered and will work. I still prefer to spread over the entire surface as all the thermal contact you can get will only be better, not worse. The only reason that Arcic Silver has changed this is because too many people were NOT following proper anti-static procedures and killed their CPU's, so they studied the best way to do it without physically touching the CPU heatspreader.
VERY THIN layer tho, like really thin, but remember to twist-mate the surfaces together to get the best contact.

Arctic Silver Thermal Grease Application Instructions

Oh and also, does anyone know an equivalent for newegg that ships to Europe? Pretty important that is:p

I just checked the mobo manual and apparently I can't install but two system fans. Am I right saying that that means trouble with that COSMOS 1000 case?

Thanks in advance as always;)

Amplid
I have Cosmos 1000 and I plug my fans directly into mother board. By the way you connect two fans and use only one fan plug.... ( thats for the top 2 fans)
Other I have plugged in spare USB port connectors

As for your Video card I would go something like 8800GT S or X. With power supply make sure you put it fan facing down rather than up because it is sucking cold air to cool you PSU, I have done that with mine

Last edited:
Glad to hear about the Arctic Silver. In my gross stupidity (seriously lol) that's what I bought and used. Is there such a thing as too much?

Are we talking about the goo that goes between the CPU cooler/fan and the CPU? If so...my CPU cooler already had some of that on it...so I just used that.... Should I have bought extra? :S

amplid

Vlaming
Power User
Haha indeed Bubba, and that I was going to do anyway (even though his English is not the best:p). And I used to not even dare to get into my own pc before I found this forum... So thanks vistaforums!

Okay moving on...
The specs on the system are:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DSR3
GPU: EVGA Geforce 6800 GS 256 Mb
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint T Series 320 Gb
Memory: Crucial 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR2 PC 6400, 240-pin DIMM
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, E6850 Conroe, 3.0 GHz
Case: Rosewill R-5717 + PSU 450W
Optical drive: Pioneer 20x DVD burner

Hmm that would be quite silly indeed, that's the little hints I need Lid8nhx (even if they make me look like a complete retard...) Thanks;)

So here you go Bubba and Gunther (and I won't forget the paste;))

Ampid

amplid

Vlaming
Power User
Hmm that's good tip chappy, thanks.

Acdcfan if the top fans are on one plug then I should indeed be ok, but I've changed the case already because it's just too noisy for grandpa with all those fans:p

Amplid

amplid

Vlaming
Power User
Yes about the GPU acdcfan, I'm not going to hook my grandpa up with an 8800GTX (first of all because I don't want him to have a better GPU than me...:p) and second of all because I have a certain budget and he reaally doesn't need a card like that.

Thanks,

Amplid

Yes about the GPU acdcfan, I'm not going to hook my grandpa up with an 8800GTX (first of all because I don't want him to have a better GPU than me...:p) and second of all because I have a certain budget and he reaally doesn't need a card like that.

Thanks,

Amplid
Sorry man
I thought if was for you.... I read the post but I couldn't see grandpa anywhere....
In that case even Cosmos 1000 was an overkill.
No offense intended

Oh, no problem.. :) I had to look at the board specs to see if you had a gigabit ethernet connection before asking~~ :)
Sounds like a good set up indeed~~