Solved Out of Black Screen Purgatory!

I would like to report a success story thanking everyone who works hard helping people. and this website led me to my solution =]

so a big thanks to everyone here. pat yourselves on the back if you would please

A little more detail for reference. I've had my Dell Inspiron 1545 for about 6 years now. It runs windows Vista home basic. I do my best to back it up regularly and run virus scans weekly with avast and malwarebytes. The computer has seen its fair share of problems, and I've spent about as much money taking it to the computer shop as I did buying it =p

overall, I've been very happy with it. its suited all my needs and lasted better than I hoped.

but down to the problem. I did a recovery to an earlier date two days ago because when I booted it, it seemed like windows would freeze. it still had that problem after I recovered to an earlier date right now, so I'm not yet completely out of the hole. but I'm better that where I was at.

basically. when I started it earlier tonight. it would start booting fine, but then as it got close to starting. a blue screen (scared me) would flash almost instantaneously, and shut the computer down completely, restarting automatically as well. it would keep going in this loop indefinitely, no matter if I chose to start it normally, in safe mode, or with the best known last configuration. most bothersome.

it was at this point that I sought the expertise of google, which led me to the answer of using my reinstallation disc, that brought it out of the loop, and back to the desktop =D

sounds easy and miniscule, I know. but I'll take this victory any way I can have it.

as for what is causing the problem. I noticed most people referencing what I believe might be the video card. as for myself. it seems to happen because I ran windows update, as the last time when I had to recover. I did the same thing and problems arose from it as well. I also tried world of warcraft on it and another game, and I don't think it can handle it =s this is all of course speculation on my part.

wrapping it up just in case someone else is going through this, here are the websites for reference that I found that helped me find the solution.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/194765-system-recovery-options.html
this was the most useful

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-perfo...a-blue-screen-continuous-loop.html#post960163
these people found a solution to the same problem and helped me immensely.

thanks again everyone. best regards C=

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dell 1501
Back