Photoshop CS3 has stopped working

CouldBeJesus

So I finally get my new computer in, which is running on my new 64-bit Vista. I install my favorite program, Photoshop CS3, and decide to try it out a bit. It works just fine. Then I decide to install my tablet which comes included with all my photoshop plug-ins.

This is where everything gets awesome. As I'm starting back up Photoshop I get hit with this.
attachment.php

If you notice, it freezes right as the plug-ins are being put in. I found out that the life-ruining box invading my startup is called DEP. So I tried to disable it going through the command prompt. Everything happened the way it was supposed to happen. I got some sort of success message, and when I checked the DEP status it said that it was disabled. So I try to start up photoshop again. Still, it pops up. I restart my computer after disabling it again. Still, it pops up. If I'm about to hear that I can't use Photoshop with plug-ins because of this 64-bit crap, I'll send my computer back right now.

Is there anything I can possibly do to get this to work?

Attachments

• Bullshit.jpg
    Bullshit.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 6,961

My Computer

Re: ...has stopped working

If you notice, it freezes right as the plug-ins are being put in. I found out that the life-ruining box invading my startup is called DEP. So I tried to disable it going through the command prompt. Everything happened the way it was supposed to happen. I got some sort of success message, and when I checked the DEP status it said that it was disabled. So I try to start up photoshop again. Still, it pops up. I restart my computer after disabling it again. Still, it pops up. If I'm about to hear that I can't use Photoshop with plug-ins because of this 64-bit crap, I'll send my computer back right now.

Hello CouldBeJesus,

Welcome to the forums.

You can disable DEP for a particular program by going to the start menu/control panel (classic view). Click on 'advanced system settings'. Under 'Performance' click settings. 'Data Execution Prevention' tab. There is a warning in the help files that this 'could' allow a virus to enter the computer through the program. It also suggests looking for an update to your program before disabling. Hope it works.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 4x2GB PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    WD 5000AAV-500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Wacom Intuos 2 Graphics Tablet
    Experience Index=5.5

Hello CouldBeJesus,

Welcome to the forums.

You can disable DEP for a particular program by going to the start menu/control panel (classic view). Click on 'advanced system settings'. Under 'Performance' click settings. 'Data Execution Prevention' tab. There is a warning in the help files that this 'could' allow a virus to enter the computer through the program. It also suggests looking for an update to your program before disabling. Hope it works.

Gary

I can't mess with the DEP settings, they are all locked. All I get is a message saying that I need to be an administer to use the settings and that I have to use the bcedit.exe or w/e. I'm pretty sure now that you can't screw with DEP at all in 64-bit Vista.

My Computer

Have you tried either right clicking on the program file or shortcut and selecting 'run as aministrator'? Alternatively you could right click on the prog. file and select properties. Compatability tab. Check 'Run as Admin.' OK. This tab might show on a shortcuts properties. Some do, some don't. Not sure why. See if that works.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Experience Index=5.5

Have you tried either right clicking on the program file or shortcut and selecting 'run as aministrator'? Alternatively you could right click on the prog. file and select properties. Compatability tab. Check 'Run as Admin.' OK. This tab might show on a shortcuts properties. Some do, some don't. Not sure why. See if that works.

Gary

Under the compatibility tab, selecting Photoshop to run in compatibility mode to XP Service pack 2 worked. The only problem is that a couple plug-ins go through the same freeze routine that I had with the startup. I can live with that I guess.

Thanks for all your help!

My Computer

Glad it helped. You could try sidney1st's link or Adobe support forums here:Adobe - Forums

Good luck.
Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Experience Index=5.5
Glad that worked for you, but there are still issues for others with this. If you're lucky enough to have used cs3 before and saved an image as a .psd file - just find the file and double-click to open it with the program. You shouldn't see the error. Close Photoshop and re-open normally.

Thanks to Vista (and/or Symantec) for the conflicts!

My Computer

Back