PL2303 (USB/RS232) Driver no longer loads

LouArnold

After several attempts at trying different driver versions, no drivers seem to load now.

These drivers are for a Prolific PL2303 USB to RS232 converter - although I did not buy the device from that company. The drivers used to install easily and I actually had one that partially worked.

At one point, I went to the Windows/System32 and manually deleted all the files and "packages" for those drivers. This likely screwed everything up and I don't know how to recover. I have the option of doing a full system recovery, but it will take days of work to arrive back at the current configuration.

After several attempts to install and uninstall all these drivers again, nothing seems to work. When I plug in the device, Vista looks for the driver in Windows Update and of course finds none. In Device Manager (DM), the annotation for the Port is Unknown device. When I try to manually install the driver through the DM, it fails. The code is sometimes 1 and other times 19.

System Info says I'm running Vista Home Premiun X86-based PC, but the sticker on the laptop says Athlon 64 X2 dual-core (Acer Aspire 4530).

Any fixes?

My Computer

Back