please help me find help for my stupid computer!

dukesgirl

hey you guys! my actual name is KRISTY. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I RESORT TO A HAMMER! :confused::mad::cry: I have been suffering from this for about 4 months now and for some reason I cant seem to resolve this problem. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! I have been to every forum i could think of or find, i have been to vista solution center, and/or vista help center, I have been to tech net, help and support, I have even given someone from microsoft security website remote access to my pc and it seems that no freaking one can help me!!!

I am running os windows vista home premium w/sp2, home edition, 32bit operating system, AMD Athlon-x2 64 processor. I bought this pc about 13 months ago, with the os already installed, and i took it out of the box brand new. The pc's os has never been upgraded, downgraded or uninstalled or reinstalled.

For some strange reason i have realized that my windows vista os thinks its windows xp and will not recongize anything other. It won't let me use any solutions, search for anything pertaining to vista, download anything for vista, enter any forums for vista unless i force it, it won't let me do anything for vista. This problem has my system so screwed up it is unreal. system settings stay the same and if you check in system properties to find out what the os running is it tells you windows vista home premium with service pack 2, registered and validated by microsoft genuine advantage. But still it thinks its windows xp.

I can not download any updates from the update web site, i have no administrator rights half of the time, everything about my pc system lets me do what i need to do when it wants to let me. PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS BEFORE I USE A HAMMER ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
hey you guys! my actual name is KRISTY. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I RESORT TO A HAMMER! :confused::mad::cry: I have been suffering from this for about 4 months now and for some reason I cant seem to resolve this problem. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! I have been to every forum i could think of or find, i have been to vista solution center, and/or vista help center, I have been to tech net, help and support, I have even given someone from microsoft security website remote access to my pc and it seems that no freaking one can help me!!!

I am running os windows vista home premium w/sp2, home edition, 32bit operating system, AMD Athlon-x2 64 processor. I bought this pc about 13 months ago, with the os already installed, and i took it out of the box brand new. The pc's os has never been upgraded, downgraded or uninstalled or reinstalled.

For some strange reason i have realized that my windows vista os thinks its windows xp and will not recongize anything other. It won't let me use any solutions, search for anything pertaining to vista, download anything for vista, enter any forums for vista unless i force it, it won't let me do anything for vista. This problem has my system so screwed up it is unreal. system settings stay the same and if you check in system properties to find out what the os running is it tells you windows vista home premium with service pack 2, registered and validated by microsoft genuine advantage. But still it thinks its windows xp.

I can not download any updates from the update web site, i have no administrator rights half of the time, everything about my pc system lets me do what i need to do when it wants to let me. PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS BEFORE I USE A HAMMER ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kristy and welcome

Could you tell me what video card you have? It seems that on some nvidia cards if the xp driver is installed by mistake it does make the OS see XP and not vista. If you want this is the link to that page. PlanetAMD64 > Vista thinks its XP

If it is indeed a nvidia card you might want to un-install the driver and re-install the correct one

Let me know if that doesnt help.

Ken J+

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
do a virus scan.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    centrino core 2 duo 2.2ghz T7500
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!
Have you located the hidden Admin account ?

Unlike XP, Vista hides the Admin account.

http://www.vista64.com/tutorials/67567-administrator-account.html
where do you locate the hidden account? I am pretty much illiterate when it comes to certain things pertaining to computer technology. easiest is hardest, hardest is easiest to me. thank you for replying. any advice is tremendously appreciated. got time for a computer training course? LOL!:D

My Computer

Hi Kristy and welcome

Could you tell me what video card you have? It seems that on some nvidia cards if the xp driver is installed by mistake it does make the OS see XP and not vista. If you want this is the link to that page. PlanetAMD64 > Vista thinks its XP

If it is indeed a nvidia card you might want to un-install the driver and re-install the correct one

Let me know if that doesnt help.

Ken J+
the video card is i think ati radeon x1200 series

My Computer

What brand and model number is your PC? If it is a DELL, what is the service tag?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built
    CPU
    AMD PHENOM X4 9600 BE 2.3GHZ @ 2.46GHZ
    Motherboard
    TA790GX 128M AM2+
    Memory
    8GB OCZ PC6400 800MHZ DDR2 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    Sound Card
    SB5120 24-BIT 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 2330V 23" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    250GB SEAGATE HDD
    PSU
    650W
    Case
    GENERIC
    Cooling
    3 120MM FANS
    Keyboard
    MS WIRELESS DESKTOP 3000
    Mouse
    MS WIRELESS DESKTOP 3000
    Internet Speed
    6MB/s
    Other Info
    Main Machine. Just upgraded my RAM to 8GB. Next task will be to get a new processor for this machine ( 9650 was for my secondary machine )

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
i have a toshiba satelite L305D-S5900 w\home premium home edition, 32 bit os, w\AMD Athlon 64 -x2

Kristy

Is there any way you can borrow, or buy either a vista, (or better still win 7) dvd?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Kristy Hi.

Do you have your installation disc that came with the computer. It would have windows 32 bit written on it.
Please put this disc in the computer and boot from disc and click on repair computer. The computer will try to resolve your problems.

You seem to have a larger problem than most of us would admit. If you have spoken to Microsoft and they were not able to solve it then it's very unlikely that we can. (Although there is usually one out there that can).
As a last resort use this method

My suggestion is (You will need your activation key for this to work):-
1. Download http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/Microsoft-Windows-Vista_32bit/1149728719/1 and burn it to a disc.
2. Then reboot your computer with this disc and install!
You will need your activation key for this to work!
I'll check back tomorrow.:devil:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 St
    Motherboard
    Asus STRIKER EXTREME 680I SLI
    Memory
    Corsair 4GB Kit (4x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDD
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    1x WD Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    1x WD Raptor WD740DFD 74GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    MS Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000
    Mouse
    MS Wireless Laser mouse 8000
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb
I ran across this thread just recently. I wonder if she ever took a hammer to her computer? Bless her heart!then :( I remember on my Vista Laptop (I still have it), Internet Explorer thought I was running Windows XP, even after I upgraded to Windows 7 and Windows 8 - I then performed a reset in Windows 8 and it fixed it.

This girl maybe could have performed a Factory Recovery on her computer if it had a recovery partition or if she had her recovery discs - usually, you'll have the option to save your personal files when you do that.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway,M-6324,Laptop
    CPU
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz, 1
    Motherboard
    Motherboard GM965 Chipset Intel Video W/10/100LAN No HDMI (F
    Memory
    Memory: 3072MB DDR2 Dual-Channel (1 x 1024MB, 1 x 2048MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Graphics Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 (6/21/2006)
    Hard Drive: 320GB HD
Back