Preparing to upgrade, couple of questions

ChefOfDeath

Sometime in the next few months (maybe sooner, maybe later - not sure yet) I plan on upgrading to Vista home premium, and I have some questions that I'm hoping I can get answered.

1. x86 or x64? I'm leaning towards 64 bit (that's why I'm on this forum), but I'd like to get some opinions and advice from people who have experience with Vista x64. I read everywhere that many programs don't work well or don't work at all on 64 bit operating systems. What are the benefits of 64 bit over 32 bit, and do they outweigh the potential driver problems?

2. RAM: I'm currently using 2 gigs of RAM, and I'm was planning to buy 2 more gigs if I went with Vista x64. However, I just read a post in the gaming section saying that 6 gigs is optimal for gaming on Vista. Considering my motherboard has 4 DIMMs (the norm), then I'm not sure how to get 6 gigs unless I have two one-gig sticks (what I have now) and two two-gig sticks. Two gig sticks are expensive - it would cost me ~$130 to bump my system up from 2 gigs to 4 gigs, but it would cost over $300 to go from 2 to 6 gigs. Is this really what was being suggested, or is this something having to do with that new Vista feature that allows one to use a flash drive as additional RAM? Above all, is it really that important, will 4 gigs be just fine in practice?

3. Updates/service packs: I'm aware that a lot of people aren't satisfied with Vista's performance/compatibility right now, and because of this I am planning on dual-booting Vista with my current install of XP home. This doesn't mean that I'll settle for an inferior product, of course. My question is: will buying Vista in several months leave me with the same product as buying Vista now and waiting several months (because of automatic updates)? Can I feel safe knowing that If I buy Vista now, any kinks that show up are likely to be ironed out by free updates and service packs released via internet, or will I have to pay money to buy an upgraded version when it comes out?

I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get on these. This forum seemed like a good place to take my questions to. Thanks!

My Computer

Well, that depends on if you have a 64-bit processor & if you have 64-bit drivers available for what your using. If so, then yeah go 64-bit. If not, 32 is fine, & you can always buy a 64-bit version of it from Microsoft later for only $9.99 (s&h cost only) with a valid 32 PID#.

4 Gigs of memory is great, unless you plan on doing some really really intensive gaming or multitasking. Heck I'm using 1.5 gig without to much of a slow down.

Yes, you'll be OK if you buy now. Vista Update's come free through automatic updates. Having the disk with a SP1 on it would be more handy, but who knows when that will be out.

Here's a link that talks about 64 bit:

Windows Vista 64 Bit

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS