Print Server Issues

Bob Moody

I am running a TS farm with 8 servers (win2K8 X64). I have a seperate win2K8 print spooler defined and is running out of a VMWare virtual machine. I have 378 Printers distributed across the State.

I have an frequent problem although mostly centered on a few printers. When a job is spooled it hits the print queue of the print server and hangs. It shows a status of SPOOLING however there is no port assignment showing. Killing myself trying to figure out how this happens. Restart the print services and all runs fine (for awhile).

Other plagues are when a job spools out and hangs with a status of SPOOLING-PRINTING-SPOOLING.. of course this hangs up as well,.

One observation is that in several cases when the spool size is shown it always seems to hang about 100k short of a compelte job.

I'm looking for any answers.. dont care how goofy, crazy or insane they seem. I cant spend all day everyday deleting print jobs and restarting print spoolers.

Thanks in advance ..

Bob

My Computer

I am running a TS farm with 8 servers (win2K8 X64). I have a seperate win2K8 print spooler defined and is running out of a VMWare virtual machine. I have 378 Printers distributed across the State.

I have an frequent problem although mostly centered on a few printers. When a job is spooled it hits the print queue of the print server and hangs. It shows a status of SPOOLING however there is no port assignment showing. Killing myself trying to figure out how this happens. Restart the print services and all runs fine (for awhile).

Other plagues are when a job spools out and hangs with a status of SPOOLING-PRINTING-SPOOLING.. of course this hangs up as well,.

One observation is that in several cases when the spool size is shown it always seems to hang about 100k short of a compelte job.

I'm looking for any answers.. dont care how goofy, crazy or insane they seem. I cant spend all day everyday deleting print jobs and restarting print spoolers.

Thanks in advance ..

Bob

This is way out of left field. I wonder if you created a file buffer before the print server if it would prevent the spolling hang? I had to do that for a file server once and still dont know why it worked.

Good luck mate and sorry I dont ahave something concrete

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
I hope you're aware only a select number of printers/drivers are TS compatible.

To take HP as an example they have a compatibility matrix somewhere on their site.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    2x AMD FX-74 @ 3.0GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS L1N64-SLI
    Memory
    4GB OCZ Reaper DDRII
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x BFG 8800GTX OC 768MB (SLI)
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Fatl1ty