Problem with headphones

yhalothar

Hi, I checked briefly through the threads to see if there was another problem like this but I don't think so. Sorry if it's obvious and I'm being a pain, haha.

Okay, I just found some old earphones of mine, already connected them to my iPod and mobile and they work great. However I just tried to connect them to my laptop and they have that tinny, echo-y sound as if they're broken... played around with my sound settings (I have Realtek High Def Audio driver) and when I ran the test it played the noises fine... but it doesn't work for music/youtube videos/anything else. Oh, and when I take them out the in-built speakers play fine too. Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks very much!

My Computer

Make sure that it is set for 2 speakers (or 2.1) instead of 4 or 5. You'll find that in the Realtek control panel.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
the two speakers have spoilt, though working but they have burst so i need to replace them but when I plug in my headphones into my laptop, the video I was trying to watch still is playing through the main speakers. I tried multiple pairs of headphones and it still didn't work. it just keeps playing even though I have headphones plugged in unless i go through control panel sound settings and make headphone default. Any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Equium A300D-16C
Back