Problems connecting to a specific network

rhikay1

Hi,

I am being encouraged to seek out answers and fix my computing problems myself so here goes:

I used to be able to connect to the network in my shared house with no problem via the wireless but at some point it just dropped off and was doing so intermittently, then it refused to connect point blank. The router is in the room next door to mine and the computer can see it is there with 100% 'reception' but it cannot connect to it. It works fine via the ethernet cable that I have but not wirelessly. In addition to this I can connect to an unsecured network wirelessly that occassionally becomes available which has less reception than the one I am trying to access. I don't understand why I can connect to one but not the other. I have not been able to connect wirelessly to this network for months now, and whilst the ethernet is working fine using it defies the point of having a laptop and wanting to move it around.

I have tried installing me software for the specific driver which is an Atheros AR5007EG adapter but this hasn't worked. I am at a loss as to what to do now.

Please respond in as much of a layperson manner as possible because to my embarrassment much tech talk goes over my head.

My Computer

Hi,

I am being encouraged to seek out answers and fix my computing problems myself so here goes:

I used to be able to connect to the network in my shared house with no problem via the wireless but at some point it just dropped off and was doing so intermittently, then it refused to connect point blank. The router is in the room next door to mine and the computer can see it is there with 100% 'reception' but it cannot connect to it. It works fine via the ethernet cable that I have but not wirelessly. In addition to this I can connect to an unsecured network wirelessly that occassionally becomes available which has less reception than the one I am trying to access. I don't understand why I can connect to one but not the other. I have not been able to connect wirelessly to this network for months now, and whilst the ethernet is working fine using it defies the point of having a laptop and wanting to move it around.

I have tried installing me software for the specific driver which is an Atheros AR5007EG adapter but this hasn't worked. I am at a loss as to what to do now.

Please respond in as much of a layperson manner as possible because to my embarrassment much tech talk goes over my head.
Hello rhikay,

Welcome to the forum

This sounds like a frequency problem which is normally quite easy to sort out.
I need to know more about your router make, model,

Do you have a hand book for the router?

Pooch

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self build
    CPU
    Phenom II x4 Black Edition 940-Arctic-Cooling Freezer Xtreme
    Motherboard
    Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
    Memory
    8 gig Samsung PC800 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 9600gt
    Sound Card
    AD1988b
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" TFT-MONITOR WIDESCREEN mit VGA/DVI 17" Video7 TFT
    Screen Resolution
    1680 : 1050 1280 : 1024
    Hard Drives
    Drive #1 - SAMSUNG HD252HJ (250 GB)
    Drive #2 - Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 (1000 GB)
    Drive #3 - SAMSUNG HD250HJ (250 GB)
    Drive #4 - SAMSUNG HD103UJ (1000 GB) External eSATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Management 750W
    Case
    Enermax Chakra
    Cooling
    2x 120mm Front and Back 1x 250mm Side
    Keyboard
    Standard
    Mouse
    Easy Line Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    I have also used Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu Linux
    And all other Windows from 95 to date except ME
Hi,

The router is dealt with by my housemate, as soon as I can speak to him I will ask if he has a manual and/or hat router it is. Usually he deals with these things for me but he has cut me off from his services and made me do it myself. Guess he figures he is helping me. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you for your offer of help.

Rhiannan

My Computer

Hi,

The router is dealt with by my housemate, as soon as I can speak to him I will ask if he has a manual and/or hat router it is. Usually he deals with these things for me but he has cut me off from his services and made me do it myself. Guess he figures he is helping me. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you for your offer of help.

Rhiannan

Hi Rhiannan, When your housemate cut you off did he perhaps change the WEP key, you need to connect to the Router?? because, if this is the case, then only you two can sort this out

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
    Memory
    8 gig Samsung PC800 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 9600gt
    Sound Card
    AD1988b
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Enermax Chakra
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Standard
    Mouse
    Easy Line Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    I have also used Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu Linux
    And all other Windows from 95 to date except ME
No no, he only cut me off in terms of fixing all my computer issues for me; he thinks he's helping me somehow to become a little less reliant on other people. I am sure he will be more than happy to give me the information you need to help me when he has a spare moment away from his uni work.

:)

My Computer

No no, he only cut me off in terms of fixing all my computer issues for me; he thinks he's helping me somehow to become a little less reliant on other people. I am sure he will be more than happy to give me the information you need to help me when he has a spare moment away from his uni work.

:)

Then all you need to do is to look at the Router what I need is written on it

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
    Memory
    8 gig Samsung PC800 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 9600gt
    Sound Card
    AD1988b
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Enermax Chakra
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Standard
    Mouse
    Easy Line Laser Mouse