Re: Windows update fails error 80070490

Thanks Noel!

I'll sort out the other two files tomorrow, we'll get this TRAPI.dll sorted for now.
That *should* have had all three files/folders in it - I'll try again!
(trying to play pool with one hand, drink with the other, and file-math with the third is rather taxing <g>)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
With any luck teh connection has held long enough this time......

Perfect :) I thought that you might not have been able to find the other folders on your VM. I can see all 3 this time, so that's great. Thanks!

Right, Fabrizio, I want you to download the .zip file that Noel has kindly uploaded.

Inside this folder, you will see three folders called:

• x86_microsoft-windows-trapi_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_5853e0fc96f5e8a0
  • x86_microsoft-windows-shell-acccursors_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_e23ac1837f67ac39
  • x86_microsoft-windows-ieframe_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22212_none_6709b392c4694172

Select all of these folders and right click on the selection, then select copy. Then navigate to C:\Windows\winsxs and paste the folders in this winsxs folder. Accept any warnings if you are shown any :)

Then I would like you to download and run the system update readiness tool (SURT) again please:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

When it has completed, copy and paste the contents of the following log into your next post please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Hi Tom, hi all... thanks a lot for your work!
I've just saved the zip uploaded by Noel... I will do the rest of your instruction as soon as my cousin brings me back his notebook (I've just sent him a sms)... :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 dual core QL-64 2.10GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3450
Well... I get the notebook, but... it was a little bit difficult to "copy" the folders you sent into the winsxs folder... the user has admin privileges, but I couldn't neither overwrite nor delete the folders already present with the same name in the winsxs folder: I get a window with a request to confirm the overwriting or deleting action, but when I say yes, it seems it couldn't delete/overwrite the folder and loops into the request window.
The same happens trying to copy single files from the given folder instead of the full folder.
I tried to do this booting in safe mode, booting with a vista dvd and using the xcopy command from a dos prompt in a temp folder where I had previously saved the 3 folder.
Finally, booting with symantec rescue disk and using the browser provided with this tool I was been able to copy the given folders in the winsxs folder, overwriting existing folders...
I ran again the system update readiness tool and this is the log... the errors still remain... :cry:

Attachments

• CheckSUR.persist.log
    1.4 KB · Views: 12

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5
    CPU
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3450
Well... I get the notebook, but... it was a little bit difficult to "copy" the folders you sent into the winsxs folder... the user has admin privileges, but I couldn't neither overwrite nor delete the folders already present with the same name in the winsxs folder: I get a window with a request to confirm the overwriting or deleting action, but when I say yes, it seems it couldn't delete/overwrite the folder and loops into the request window.
The same happens trying to copy single files from the given folder instead of the full folder.
I tried to do this booting in safe mode, booting with a vista dvd and using the xcopy command from a dos prompt in a temp folder where I had previously saved the 3 folder.
Finally, booting with symantec rescue disk and using the browser provided with this tool I was been able to copy the given folders in the winsxs folder, overwriting existing folders...
I ran again the system update readiness tool and this is the log... the errors still remain... :cry:

I suspect that permissions are a problem - please run the following commands and copy/paste the results to your reply....

Code:
[B]ICACLS C:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-trapi_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_5853e0fc96f5e8a0 /T[/B]
[B]ICACLS C:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shell-acccursors_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_e23ac1837f67ac39 /T[/B]
[B]ICACLS C:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-ieframe_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22212_none_6709b392c4694172 /T[/B]

Here are some instructions to make life easier :)
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the CP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Windows, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
3) To copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Here is the result of what you ask... I put it into a file because it's a little bit long.

Attachments

• icacls command results.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 19

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5
    CPU
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3450
I must admit, it's a lot longer than I expected! - however, I can see no obvious problems there.
since the data scrolled off the top, please run this command to confirm...

Code:
ICACLS C:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shell-acccursors_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_e23ac1837f67ac39

post the result.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
ok... this time the result is shorter... :)

-------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Versione 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Tutti i diritti riservati.
C:\Windows\system32>ICACLS C:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shell-acccurs
ors_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_e23ac1837f67ac39
C:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shell-acccursors_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.60
00.16386_none_e23ac1837f67ac39 NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller: (OI)(CI)(F)
BUILTIN\Administrators: (OI)(CI)(RX)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM: (OI)(CI)(RX)
BUILTIN\Users: (OI)(CI)(RX)
Elaborazione completata per 1 file. Elaborazione non riuscita per 0 file
C:\Windows\system32>
-------------------------------------------

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5
    CPU
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3450
That looks normal as well - I'll leave you to Tom's tender mercies now :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
My cousin just asked me to run the restore to factory settings utility from the hp dvd because in the last weeks the notebook has becamt so slow that can't be used anymore and, since he need it, he thinks that a restore won't be so worst for him... I will start to do this next days...
Many thanks for your help...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5
    CPU
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3450
Hi Fabrizio,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday.

Was the restore successful? I would guess that it was, but I would hate to leave you with a problem with your computer.

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Hi Tom... don't worry... ;)
Yes the hp restore was successfull... I've downloaded and installed the sp2 and all others updates.
I don't know what's happened... the notebook comes with vista sp1; maybe something happens some year ago, before the sp2 was released... a virus, a trojan or something else could have corrupted the registry and/or files and since this moment no update could take place. Now it's ok. Thanks for your patience...
Bye...
Fabrizio

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5
    CPU
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3450
Hi Tom... don't worry... ;)
Yes the hp restore was successfull... I've downloaded and installed the sp2 and all others updates.
I don't know what's happened... the notebook comes with vista sp1; maybe something happens some year ago, before the sp2 was released... a virus, a trojan or something else could have corrupted the registry and/or files and since this moment no update could take place. Now it's ok. Thanks for your patience...
Bye...
Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio,

That's great news :) I'm glad it's all up and running again. Feel free to come back if you have any future issues!

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD