Realtek Digital Out(RCA) Only 2 Channel sound to RCA Digital into Reciever

2C0J2H2

Sound functions but reciever is only detecting 2 channel output. Apon browsing RealTekHD audio properites I discovered that the only options for Digital Output(RCA) were all 2-Channel under "Default Format" tab. However my front pannel Audio Output Jack(HD Audio 2nd Output) has an extra third tab labeled "Speaker Configuration" and has options for up to 7.1 surround but these settings do not impact my Digital Output(RCA) channel. Now my reciever does have a multi-channel input that could take advantage of the Analog Outputs in the rear but the distance is to great and multiple wires are expensive.

My question is how can i configure my RealTek Digital Output(RCA) to ouput 7 channel sound?

My Computer

Hi 2C0J2H2 and welcome to Vista Forums :party:

First things first. Please give people chance to have a look at your post. Depending on what they are doing, this may be almost immediately or it could be several days. Accordingly, I have removed your second post.

Back to your problem. It would assist us if you provided full specifications of your system (fill in your System Specs)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
my computer was custom built so all parts are random.. mainly ASUS however the sound is intergrated onto my motherboard which is on an Asus P5Q motherboard. mainly thou i belief my question is related to vista sound settings.. so i can't see u needing any specs. so i'll repeat..

my only way to change options for my "Digital Output(RCA)" is under the "Default Setting" tab an include a list of 16 or 24bit sound with different frequencys. however all options are 2 Channel. right now it is on "2-Channel 24-bit 192,000hz" i can't figure out how to enable a "Speaker Setting" tab or how to enlarge the list to a 7.1 option.. its digital output so it should work, but all im gettign is an analog output :(

My Computer

Sound functions but reciever is only detecting 2 channel output. Apon browsing RealTekHD audio properites I discovered that the only options for Digital Output(RCA) were all 2-Channel under "Default Format" tab. However my front pannel Audio Output Jack(HD Audio 2nd Output) has an extra third tab labeled "Speaker Configuration" and has options for up to 7.1 surround but these settings do not impact my Digital Output(RCA) channel. Now my reciever does have a multi-channel input that could take advantage of the Analog Outputs in the rear but the distance is to great and multiple wires are expensive.

My question is how can i configure my RealTek Digital Output(RCA) to ouput 7 channel sound?
have you tried configuring it in the realtek audio control panel, since that is nothing to do with windows built in audio device manager? see attachment below...

Attachments

• realtekhdaudiocontrol.JPG
    realtekhdaudiocontrol.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 10,595

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    Evga NF78-CK-132-A 3-Way SLI
    Memory
    8Gb DDR2 Corsair Dominator @ 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 560 GTX SC FTW 1GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC888 7.1 Audio, Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Headset
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2409W 16:9, HDMi, DVI & VGA
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 7200rpm 250Gb SATA,
    Samsung 7200rpm 750Gb SATA,
    WD 7200rpm 1TB SCSI SATA.
    PSU
    Xigmatek 750W Quad sli quad core 80% eff
    Case
    Antec 900 Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT NVIDIA Tritium, Dominator RAM cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech generic keyboard
    Mouse
    Razor Lachesis Banshee V2 Blue, 4000DPI
    Internet Speed
    16Mb Sky bb
    Other Info
    Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows, Wireless Xbox 360 Pad, Wireless Xbox 360 Les Paul Guitar
yes.. that was the first thing i tried. but as i mentioned in my first post if u read it all there is no "Speaker Configuration" for the "Digtal Output(RCA)" only under the "Speaker" tab like in your image.. and adjustments here have no effect on the "Digital Output(RCA)" it seems.. my only options for the "Digital Output(RCA)" were located under a default configuration tab(as mentioned above in eairly post)all options provided are 2 channel with a range of 12-24bit sound and 33-192khz frequency

My Computer

I stand to be corrected but I think this is the situation.

In on board sound the output can only be 2 channel (left and Right) as that's all the mother board stereo jack (line out) can support. For true 6 channel out you will need 6 jacks ( or 3 stereo jack? I dunno)

My system says the same as yours.

"Digital out" means that the signal is going out (obviously) so it needs to go out into something else. Perhaps something that can convert stereo to emulated 5.1. (which is what my TV does for example)

RCA is two channels anyway (two cables).

You don't really explain what you are trying to set up and why you need to digital out?

My Computer

interesting.. okay well im trying to hook my computer up to my yamaha reciever to intigrate it into my home theatre set-up. however my computer is like 20 feet from my tv and reciever so i wanted a single cable. i.e the digital RCA. to trasmit true7.1 sound to my recieve as if it was going to a computer surround system.. the multiple imput u mention is for "Multi-Channel" which is analog and requires multiple coords that i dont wish to ru around my room.. or the distance.. wires are expensive. i was hopeing that the Single RCA cable would be able to transmit 7.1 information just because its digital out to a digital in... yes i coud use 7.1 enhancer on my reciever.. its not bad.. but its not the same and i was hopeing it was a simple option im too nub to find.

My Computer

Hi 2C0J2H2,

Please DO NOT keep bumping your thread, especially after such a short period of time. You need to give people chance to respond, and repeated bumping will only put people off. Accordingly, I have removed the post (please see my earlier post as well). Can I ask you again to please provide your system specifications? We need that information in order to be able to help you. For example, we need to know how the front panel is wired to your motherboard, and whether there are any jumpers or settings in the BIOS that would affect its operation.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
If for example you have a true surround sound commercial DVD movie playing on your PC...if your connecting your stero jacks in the RCA outlet (stereo) you cannot expect it to come out as anything other than Stereo out the other end....

My Computer

I have the same problem...I have a modern Motherboard with surround sound and digital output just like yours and am very knowledgeable about computers, but don't know a whole ton about audio. After researching this problem for a week I discovered some interesting things...

I got 5.1 surround sound working using PowerDVD and Media Player Classic which comes with the K-lite codec pack and enables AAC/Dolby Digital. This works for playing DVD's/Divx and other media formats in 5.1 surround, even though Windows control panel it still shows only 2 speaker config as you mentioned, it plays in 5.1. The stock Windows Media player did not originally support AAC or one of the functions required to make it work, so it wouldn't play 5.1 at all. After configuring Media Player Classic codecs on my system I can now play files in 5.1 surround using the stock WMP... but who uses that anyways... its slow and glitchy.

However when I try to play games I cannot seem to get the 5.1 to work, they all play in stereo, however if I select analog output and hook up a surround sound set of headphones (via the 3 headphone jacks) it plays fine in 5.1.

So basically 5.1 surround works fine through the old analog jacks, but works only with certain applications through the digital SPDIF output.

From the reading I have done I understand that optical output only supports two channels, but encodes those channels (if the application supports it) into 5.1 dolby digital or DTS. Based upon what I have read Windows Vista does not natively support encoding those channels and therefore it shows up as only two speakers. If I am wrong feel free to correct me... I would love to get World at War working in 5.1 using Optical output.

Vista Ultimate
Abit Ix38 Quad-GT MB
Core2duo E8400 @ 4ghz (water-cooled)
8800GTS w/voltmod @800mhz (water-cooled)
Two IBM Deathstar's in RAID 0 (fingers-crossed)
1 Seagate 1TB Data Drive (full of pr0n)

Last edited:

My Computer

hey i have the same problems with my sound card, but i have windows 7 i have this account with vista forums for my laptop but i was hoping that for this problem the same interface applied to 7.

My Computer

Back