• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rebuilding Vista Registry.

Hi, Could someone take their rime write us a tutorial on two topics?
How to Rebuild a registry, and Backup and restore from DOS. For Vista.
Im sure many could use this.
All i found on google was that the reg is stored in System.dat And User.dat but it doesnt say what OS Version(s).

Hi, I'm having a major issue with the registry in Vista 64. I ran a reg clean tool (thats supposed to be 64 bit. I think I had the wrong version after the fact) on my system and when it rebooted, I got the BSOD and now I can't get back in. Safe mode doesn't work, boot to last known good configuration, etc.. I can boot from the install CD and get to a dos prompt. System restore doesn't work from the cd either because it can't find anything to restore. Is there a way to rebuild the registry from a DOS prompt in Vista 64? I've done this in the past with Windows 95 or 98, can't remember which one but I did it.

Thanks

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hello Ghendric, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you do not have any System Restore points available, then the only option is to do a clean reinstall of Vista to fix this. :(

Sorry,
Shawn

Cr@p.. I was afraid of that. I have dual boot going here too. I have XP on one drive and Vista x64 on another drive. Will reinstalling Vista mess up my dual boot?

Thanks