Recover Deleted IE history

lettherebeme

I need to recover deleted IE history and have scoured all different sources for recovery and im starting to doubt whether or not it is possible.

What I know wont work:

System Restore- The history was deleted between restore points, and the restore points on either side of it being deleted dont have the relevant history

What I've tried:

Index.dat readers. This is what I'm confused about, everywhere I go say this file holds all IE history unless its been altered, but from everything I've actually tried it seems all the index files I can find just hold information I can pretty readily access already.

So I'm willing to try any suggestions, and also if anyone has a little more info on index.dat that would change what I've found out myself it would also be greatly appreciated.

My Computer

I need to recover deleted IE history and have scoured all different sources for recovery and im starting to doubt whether or not it is possible.

What I know wont work:

System Restore- The history was deleted between restore points, and the restore points on either side of it being deleted dont have the relevant history

What I've tried:

Index.dat readers. This is what I'm confused about, everywhere I go say this file holds all IE history unless its been altered, but from everything I've actually tried it seems all the index files I can find just hold information I can pretty readily access already.

So I'm willing to try any suggestions, and also if anyone has a little more info on index.dat that would change what I've found out myself it would also be greatly appreciated.

You might try a program called Recuva from Piriform.. But I'm not sure if it will find deleted IE history temp files. Did you delete them from a cleaner program or from IE itself?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Airbot 2.0
    CPU
    Core i7 920 (D0) @ 4Ghz, 26c idle- 65c full load on air
    Motherboard
    Asus P6X58D Premium -Sata 6Gb/s - USB 3.0
    Memory
    12GB Corsair Dominator -CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 480 -Fermi
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar D2X
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 24" Flatron W2453V-PF Full HD 1080p 2ms response time
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60hz
    Hard Drives
    1 OCZ Vertex2 180GB SSD
    1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200RPM 32MB cache
    2 500GB WD Caviar Blacks 7200RPM 32MB cache (WD5001AALS)

Pioneer DVD Burner DVR-S18M
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Cooling
    Case Fans -3 230mm, 1 140mm/CPU - Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Internet Speed
    100 MBPS DL 30.17Mbps UL 0.98Mbps
    Other Info
    Windows 7
    Processor-7.7 RAM- 7.9 Graphics-7.9 Gaming Graphics- 7.9 HDD- 7.8

W.E.I final score= 7.7

Windows Vista=5.9
It was deleted through IE itself. Ill check out recuva. I tried a program called easy undelete that supposedly can specifically find deleted IE temp history files, but I can figure out how.

IE history view is just a dat reader, and from what I've found the only thing the index file holds is current IE history(oxymoron), if someone could say differently then I'd be willing to delve further into it.

My Computer

Yeah, let us know, it might just be gone forever though.:(

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Airbot 2.0
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar D2X
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60hz
    Hard Drives
    1 OCZ Vertex2 180GB SSD

PSU
    Corsair HX1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Windows 7

W.E.I final score= 7.7

Windows Vista=5.9
It was deleted through IE itself. Ill check out recuva. I tried a program called easy undelete that supposedly can specifically find deleted IE temp history files, but I can figure out how.

IE history view is just a dat reader, and from what I've found the only thing the index file holds is current IE history(oxymoron), if someone could say differently then I'd be willing to delve further into it.

easy undelete is trialware meaning you have to buy it before you can recover any data....

please dont tell me you are using IE right now....
doing so will write the index dat where you just deleted it the history therby overwriting pretty much all your history (the parts deleted and which we need to have to recover it)...

while this link applies to xp it also applies to vista
http://ask-leo.com/can_internet_explorers_history_be_undeleted.html

Last edited:

My Computer

I dont know if you can restore your history, since you are "rewriting history" right now!!!
but if its a certain file (picture, maybe, or html page) your looking for, you can try the temporary internet files: Go to Tools -- internet options -- browsing history > settings -- view files. There will probably be a lot of pages to go thru, but if you look at large icons or something maybe it will be easier to find what your looking for?

My Computer

I'm actually not using IE right now, using chrome so as to not overwrite any of the history that might still be in tact.

I have the trial version of undelete, but youre supposed to be able to search for recoverable files, and unless the feature is missing on the trial version to search specifically for temp IE files, then I don't see it working. If that feature is missing, then I'm just pissed off.

My Computer

In that case, if you want to get to your temp internet files without opening ie then you could go to "C:\users\[your user name]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\". Note that if your trying to use windows explorer, you may need to set it to see hidden files and folders and to not "hide operating system files" to see some of these folders, or else they may be hidden.
Your ie may be set different, but thats where my ie points to for files, and I think that is the original location. The history is right next to that, in 'C:\users\[your user name]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\history\"name of day"\(name of location, either website or file location)\(shortcut to page)' (replace "name of day" with Today, Thursday, Last Week, 2 weeks ago, 3 weeks ago, etc...) A setting in the ie tells it how far back to store, so it may not go that far back. I guess every day it shifts everything down a level (today, yesterday, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc...)

Last edited:

My Computer

In that case, if you want to get to your temp internet files without opening ie then you could go to "C:\users\[your user name]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\". Note that if your trying to use windows explorer, you may need to set it to see hidden files and folders and to not "hide operating system files" to see some of these folders, or else they may be hidden.
Your ie may be set different, but thats where my ie points to for files, and I think that is the original location. The history is right next to that, in 'C:\users\[your user name]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\history\"name of day"\(name of location, either website or file location)\(shortcut to page)' (replace "name of day" with Today, Thursday, Last Week, 2 weeks ago, 3 weeks ago, etc...) A setting in the ie tells it how far back to store, so it may not go that far back. I guess every day it shifts everything down a level (today, yesterday, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc...)

This shouldn't work with the history deleted, but I can give it a shot.

edit:

no luck there

Last edited:

My Computer

Have you tried Recuva? You might just have to bite the bullet and call it lost.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Airbot 2.0
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar D2X
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60hz
    Hard Drives
    1 OCZ Vertex2 180GB SSD

PSU
    Corsair HX1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless MK700
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Windows 7

W.E.I final score= 7.7

Windows Vista=5.9
Hi,

The free glaryundelete seems to be able to find them - suggest you d/l it to a different partition.

Glary Undelete

Dat2009-01-02_184319.jpg

The chances of them being in good condition are slim, sadly.

Hope it helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800