Recovering Hard Drive/2nd SATA drive

JKP

Dear All-

My wife's Fujitsu laptop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit) decided to fry its MB after less than two years. Since it will be more to repair the board than to replace the laptop, we've decided she will get a new one. But, with mainboard crashes, they rarely give you a heads up and when it crashed we didn't have a current back up. So, I took the 2.5" Hitachi hard drive out of the laptop and put it into an SATA enclosure and connected it to MY Fujitsu laptop (Vista Basic). The enclosure lights (powered thru USB) and the drive spins (can feel it and hear it). These are encouraging. However, I cannot get the drive to appear anywhere. Not in My Computer. Not in Device Manager. Not in Admin Tools/Disk Mgmt. Not in BIOS.

The enclosure came with a driver disk but the only install on the little disk was for Win98. I have connected outboard hard drives to this computer in the past with no issue. Anyone have any clues/ideas about ANYTHING I can do to get this drive recognized so I can recover all the data on it?

Thanks in advance!

My Computer

Re: Recovering Hard Drive/2nd SATA drive - SOLVED

Okay, well, the counter-intuitive took hold of me and I fixed my own problem. I simply unplugged and plugged this drive -hot- several times and after one of the replugs Vista finally installed the device drivers and the drive showed up. Whew!

Thanks to everyone for their help :p

My Computer

Back